collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 429
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

NEED HELP? If you're looking for support with Simple Portal, look no further than the Support Board!

Author Topic: Update on 2.3.5  (Read 191998 times)

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
Update on 2.3.5
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in the last blog post I posted, we have been working on a patch to fix the issues found in 2.3.4 version. As of this moment, I'm happy to announce that we're now in the testing phase; I've just posted SimplePortal 2.3.5 Beta 1 for Beta Testers to test it.

Although we wanted to keep it for the 2.3 line, with this version we had to drop support for SMF 2.0 Beta and RC versions. That means, SimplePortal 2.3.5 will only support SMF 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 and all versions of SMF 1.0 and SMF 1.1 line. (including SMF 1.1.16)

I'm hoping that we can release this patch in the very near future and provide you with an even more stable portal modification. We have also been discussing and planning what we want to do with SimplePortal from this point onward. So you can look forward to some exciting news pretty soon.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline sharks

• Beta Tester
  • SP Version: 2.3.4
Re: Update on 2.3.5
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Although we wanted to keep it for the 2.3 line, with this version we had to drop support for SMF 2.0 Beta and RC versions. That means, SimplePortal 2.3.5 will only support SMF 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 and all versions of SMF 1.0 and SMF 1.1 line. (including SMF 1.1.16)
I completely agree on this aspect of the development. It is risky for forum owners themselves, if they have not yet moved up from beta or RC versions of SMF. Enabling future SP versions for such unstable releases should be ceased to discourage people from sticking to unreliable SMF versions prior to 2.0 final as well as allowing improved and better code stability.

Now, on to the fun part. Here buggy, buggy, buggy! :D

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »
I completely agree on this aspect of the development. It is risky for forum owners themselves, if they have not yet moved up from beta or RC versions of SMF. Enabling future SP versions for such unstable releases should be ceased to discourage people from sticking to unreliable SMF versions prior to 2.0 final as well as allowing improved and better code stability.

We don't really want to force people to upgrade their forums but in this case it was inevitable. However, yeah, they really need to upgrade their forums, to take advantage of the improvements and fixes, especially those affecting security.

Offline tomeh

• infomiasto.eu
  • SMF Version: 2.0.10
  • SP Version: 2.3.6
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Congratulations, this is good news and I can not wait to see the bottom of all of us.
Serwis infomiasto.eu - poradniki i przewodniki tematyczne

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
Will be busy this week with tax return and long weekend but after Wednesday next week I have time to tr it ... unless curiosity gets the better of me and you think its safe to run it on the site live.
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
I have just updated this forum and we're now using SimplePortal 2.3.5 on this forum.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
That's impressive! You have made quick work of this release! And I look forward to improved compatability with some of the more exotic CURVE-like themes.

-------
Edit: corrected typo
Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

Offline andy

• On Leave
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
You should work more slowly! ... so now we can start talking about SP3.0?  :P
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:55 AM »
That's impressive! You have made quick work of this release! And I look forward to improved compatability with some of the more exotic CURVE-like themes.

-------
Edit: corrected typo

It should have been a lot faster. There was really no reason to delay this for months. I have to admit that the quote BBC issue was looking a bit scary and the header bar fix felt like it would require quite a lot of time. Those two really drained my motivation at times.

You should work more slowly! ... so now we can start talking about SP3.0?  :P

We've already started talking about it. ;)

Not to sound like I'm boasting but if I could code at my full capacity for longer periods, we could have a working alpha of 3.0 in a few months. I'm far from being that stable at this time though.

Offline andy

• On Leave
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »
Some people always ask for too much and others give too much ... I dont like it when people try to push others into more and more work when they are donating their time - you do enough. SP3 can wait till the end of the year in my opinion... or later.

Offline sharks

• Beta Tester
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
I understand that we should not expect too much when we're being given a lot already for free! ;) But discussing and planning the next major version of SP is something that we should all plan and discuss at length. Is there any official thread for that purpose?

With a bit of brainstorming, we might end up having less code later on, since we'll know exactly which directions to take the software and make it even better.

Just curious, is SP 3.0 going to be something along the futuristic outlines set by smCore? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=469417.0
Or rather something more down-to-reality, like immediate compatibility with the existing SMF 1.1.x and 2.0.x? Personally, i'd go with the second option any day.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:23:05 AM by sharks »

Offline wjhdiz

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.1
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
Thank you very much for having this done.

If SP 3.0 has some SNS features, then it will bring SMF to a new level. Namely, we need not to look high on Joomla or WP+Buddypress (it is messy to me).

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
lol, I thought I was posting in the beta testing board. *cough*

Some people always ask for too much and others give too much ... I dont like it when people try to push others into more and more work when they are donating their time - you do enough. SP3 can wait till the end of the year in my opinion... or later.

Yeah, that's probably how it will turn out. No promises or anything but end of the year sounds like an acceptable time frame to me.

I understand that we should not expect too much when we're being given a lot already for free! ;) But discussing and planning the next major version of SP is something that we should all plan and discuss at length. Is there any official thread for that purpose?

With a bit of brainstorming, we might end up having less code later on, since we'll know exactly which directions to take the software and make it even better.

To be honest, we had a plan for 3.0 back in 2008 and ???1031 actually did some coding on that. However, obviously it fell through. We now have a better idea about what the SMF community wants from a portal and certainly we've gained some experience. We're now discussing what we want to do with SimplePortal at this point. Be it 3.0 or 2.4, we'll be planning it thoroughly, so that we don't end up patching it over and over again. We'll be sure to give more information about his and ask feedback when things get clear enough.

Just curious, is SP 3.0 going to be something along the futuristic outlines set by smCore? http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=469417.0
Or rather something more down-to-reality, like immediate compatibility with the existing SMF 1.1.x and 2.0.x? Personally, i'd go with the second option any day.

Well, we can't even consider smCore unless it reaches to a usable state. We'll of course see how it turns out in the future and adapt ourselves but we don't really want to wait for smCore to be ready to plan and start coding a new version. One thing that's pretty much decided for the next major version is the logical choice of only supporting SMF 2.0 and upper versions.

Offline andy

• On Leave
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
'Kindred' over on smf was pushing one calendar mod for more development with all the suggestions from people ... I felt sorry for the guy being hassled so much about more and more divergent ideas for mainly commercial use, and doing it all for free!
He was saying dont worry, keep going - smf 3 is a long way away yet (when the calendar will be dropped as core feature).

Is there a SP 3 discussion thread yet?

I tried most of the portals and settled on SP as it came out top on a range of things ... for my purposes and in general.
http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=9683.msg50538#msg50538

Things have moved on a lot from when tiny portal was THE smf portal. A front page was enough then but I think pages/menu items are a must have function now.
Labradoodle has just put out a new mod but the full version hes after 50$ for it...
Even though I lost most of my subscription at the Bloc website the template does have a built in menu manager - beta but it will do until I get desperate (Im not going to move over to Dream Portal for that).

Language switching of content, titles, blocks etc ... would be nice these days with the web stretching across borders and more people online - a weak point of SMF - almost all (non-curve, default) templates need php fuction call edits to get a language switcher to show (....bad). It was like that when I checked it out in 2006 and opted for phpbb.

The rest are minor to me and depends on each individuals needs and if they can be done with custom edits or need to become core.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
In order to make sure 2.3.5 is stable enough, we'll be releasing a quick public Release Candidate. You can expect to try out 2.3.5 in a day or two.

Offline sharks

• Beta Tester
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »
In order to make sure 2.3.5 is stable enough, we'll be releasing a quick public Release Candidate. You can expect to try out 2.3.5 in a day or two.
Inviting a few hundreds/thousands of SP fans to test the RC version prior to final release, can only be beneficial. :) To make sure the final testing gets maximum attention, i think maybe you could advertise the RC availability in a reply to the official SP thread on the SMF forums.
Still no bugs reported on my forums. The forums here seem to be working fine as well.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
This is very good news.  So many are looking forward to the little improvements.
Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

weerforum

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
Good news, love to try the new SP.
Thanx for all the good work  :D