collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 654
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Installation errors? Mod incompatibilities? Upgrade problems? Make your way over to the Install and Upgrade Support board for all your solutions!

Author Topic: Custom Message Block  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Hoodie

• Semi Newbie
  • Auto Junkiez
    • Auto Junkiez
  • SMF Version: 2.0.2
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
Custom Message Block
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
Haven't found this requested anywhere so I thought that I would request it.

I run a clan website and when new members join, they have hardly any access to the site.  Now, when they get approved they are asked to join a specific clan (out of 8).  They get their access once confirmed that they have joined.  I want to put the approval message directly on the front page in a block so that they can see it next time they log in.

I was trying to find a way to write a custom message to the user and then be able to pull that message into a block but I don't see a mod that would do this on SMF.  If anyone knows of an easy way to do this, that would be awesome.

The other way I was thinking is to send them a PM through the regular system.  Then display the most recent PM in a block on the front page.  This would work IMO but once that person gets a new PM, it would disappear so it isn't failsafe and I wanted a place for a custom message just for this purpose to go.

Any help is appreciated.
Auto Junkiez..

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
  • SMF Version: 2.1
  • EhPortal Version: 1.22
Re: Custom Message Block
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Hoodie,

If I understand correctly you want a message to be displayed to members that have been added to a new membergroup. Do you also want that message to disappear after a preset amount of time or time they have been logged in?

I can write something that will do this for you when I have some spare time in the next few days.
What is the member group id# that you are displaying this data for?
Hover over the membergroup in the admin and look at the url info to get that specific id#.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
I think you can use Custom Permission set to achieve this. But what exactly do you mean by "once they are approved"? Is that membership approval or group request approval? Can you describe (step by step) what a user has to do to become a full member and at which exact stage you want this message displayed?
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline Hoodie

• Semi Newbie
  • Auto Junkiez
    • Auto Junkiez
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
I think you can use Custom Permission set to achieve this. But what exactly do you mean by "once they are approved"? Is that membership approval or group request approval? Can you describe (step by step) what a user has to do to become a full member and at which exact stage you want this message displayed?

• Member registers on site (registration is set to Email Activation)
  • Make post on Join Request board using custom form that only leaders/coleaders see
  • Leaders and Co-Leaders place the member in a clan and let them know by PM
  • Member must then join the clan in-game and confirm by PM back that they have joined
  • Leaders change the membergroup of the member to match the clan they joined

Two ways I guess this could be done:

• Once decided on the clan they are to join, a custom message to be displayed to them in a block (almost like a private message but can't be overwritten).  This seems to be more of a mod for SMF as a whole and not SimplePortal so probably shouldn't be asked here.
  • Keep doing things the way they are being done but have a block on the front page to display the most recent PM to them.
  • The Leaders can place the member into the membergroup and then a message is displayed to them based on the membergroup.  Pretty much like you guys are describing.

Only issue I see with the third route is that I have 10 different clans under this "family" and a membergroup for each clan.  A way I was thinking to fix that is to put the message that I want displayed to be written in the description of the membergroup and to display that information in a block based on the membergroup the member is placed in.

I honestly think that the second way is the easiest way to complete this and doesn't change the way we are currently doing things.  Only issue is that it will be pointless if they receive another PM and it then gets erased from the front page.
Auto Junkiez..

Offline Hoodie

• Semi Newbie
  • Auto Junkiez
    • Auto Junkiez
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
So I think was revisiting this and thought to just do the personal message way.  Should be the easiest way to get the job done.  Anyone know how to make the most recent personal message display in a block?
Auto Junkiez..