SimplePortal > Site Discussion

Why I think the Documentation is hidden

(1/1)

oNLy1:
Earlier today in chat I was jokingly saying that the Documentation link (on every page) is hidden because we administrators who use Simple Machines Forum do not natively have a navigation at the very top of the website, instinctively we don't look there.

The first thing we do - is scroll down and the navigation becomes hidden, out of sight.

May I suggest a left or right block with linkage to the headings used in the documentation: Install, Setup, Blocks, Articles and Pages.

Personally I would put it on the left side as it is the column used through out the board and I would put it just below the Who's Online block.

...the reason for that is because it would be directly in sight when someone was to make a post.

AngelinaBelle:
What if a "documentation" were added to the main navigation menu?  Would users notice that?

oNLy1:
I probably wouldn't have noticed if it was in the main nav
simply because its not part of the normal structure of the navigation that administrators are use to.

the Simple Portal block structure is what most of us were after when we decided we to get SP.... because we needed a system that can place stuff infront of the eyes of the viewer without them having to look around for it.

hence why I have suggested to put to left column
and the reason I suggested it to be around the who's Online and Shoutbox is because when we go to post, those blocks are POW right in our face.

could even put it a notice on a block that is only on the post page - almost like a popup - hey have you checked the documentation before making that support post?

andy:
I think a menu item to documentation in the SMF Simple Portal menu list would be a good idea. Low overhead and gets people reading maybe before the see the support forum.  :P

AngelinaBelle:

--- Quote from: oNLy1 on April 19, 2014, 10:35:39 PM ---hence why I have suggested to put to left column
and the reason I suggested it to be around the who's Online and Shoutbox is because when we go to post, those blocks are POW right in our face.

could even put it a notice on a block that is only on the post page - almost like a popup - hey have you checked the documentation before making that support post?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version