collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Welcome to SimplePortal.net! You can download SimplePortal from the Downloads Area!

Author Topic: How can we contribute to Simple Portal?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline processor

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.6
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
How can we contribute to Simple Portal?
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
So this is my website: http://www.slavorum.com

I've custom coded the article layout in order to look and serve as an actual news portal. I've made a two different versions how article blocks are displayed, the small ones and the large one as it can be seen on website. Both are adjusted in simpleportal settings, user can specify an image for thumbnail for an article etc.

I would gladly contribute this code to simpleportal in order to make it better, as i think SimplePortal is the only worth wile portal for SMF and it deserves to be developed more. So i have the code files, how do i contribute them to a developer here in hope they would implement it in official release of Simple portal?

I was thinking some things should be done on Simple portal more like:

1) RSS feeds on published article in order so we could collect RSS subscribers or email lists and send them this.
2) When an article is added by "add this article" it should actually form a real independent article on Simple portal with the OP content and swap the OP content with a link towards the SP article and to display forum posts and comments on the OP.
3) This article display layout i've made that i'd like to contribute.
4) Block responsiveness
5) OG protocol tags on articles when they are added.

I think with these few things Simpleportal could even beat wordpress because it would be faster and backed with a great forum as SMF. I know many users want this kind of thing, so is there a way i can contribute the code to anyone to actually implement it in official release? How do we contribute, can i just email my code to any developer here? 

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
  • SMF Version: 2.1
  • EhPortal Version: 1.22
Re: How can we contribute to Simple Portal?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »

You can post code contributions to Simple Portal's GitHub repository.

ref.
https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal

If you are not already a member of GitHub then you will need to create an account with them.
When you are signed into GutHub you can perform pull requests on specific files to edit/add your code contributions.  It is up to Sinan (the author) to accept changes he likes and/or agrees with.

Regards.

Offline processor

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »

You can post code contributions to Simple Portal's GitHub repository.

ref.
https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal

If you are not already a member of GitHub then you will need to create an account with them.
When you are signed into GutHub you can perform pull requests on specific files to edit/add your code contributions.  It is up to Sinan (the author) to accept changes he likes and/or agrees with.

Regards.

Thanks for the info, however would like to hear it from SiNaN himself would he accept something like that or not...so i don't do anything in vain. It's kind of sad to see Simpleportal and SMF both being that stale and not developing further...

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
Thank you for your willingness to contribute to the project, processor! Here are some short notes on the ways you can contribute to SimplePortal:

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?page=contribute

Currently the development is very very slow but it's still going. I try to work on the next version of SimplePortal, 2.4, when I have the time and motivation. I have even finished most of the code regarding the focus of our next release, forum independent articles module. Unfortunately, I have very little time to code myself consistently and would have loved to have more developers working on it with me.

For starters, I think you could share your code in Custom Coding board. I'm sure they'll be appreciated by many, even if it isn't included in the SimplePortal package by default. You can also help with the customization requests and get used to the code and ways of SimplePortal.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline processor

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Thank you for your willingness to contribute to the project, processor! Here are some short notes on the ways you can contribute to SimplePortal:

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?page=contribute

Currently the development is very very slow but it's still going. I try to work on the next version of SimplePortal, 2.4, when I have the time and motivation. I have even finished most of the code regarding the focus of our next release, forum independent articles module. Unfortunately, I have very little time to code myself consistently and would have loved to have more developers working on it with me.

For starters, I think you could share your code in Custom Coding board. I'm sure they'll be appreciated by many, even if it isn't included in the SimplePortal package by default. You can also help with the customization requests and get used to the code and ways of SimplePortal.

Thanks for info, i will share it with people that are interested in code for what i have done.

Oh my god, this is the news i have been waiting for!! Can you share any detail on independent article module? will it use a comment system from forum users? will we have thumbnail articles (something in lines as i have done here: http://www.slavorum.com to display it in such a way...that would be very nice. I mean that's all simpleportal needs to beat even things like wordpress and any smf user would welcome it very much.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
The comment system is also standalone. It's no longer connected to forum topics/posts in any way. I haven't decided how to handle images and thumbnails for articles but I have been thinking about a media module, something like Wordpress has.

You can check the progress out for yourself here:

https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal/tree/dev

It can be installed on an SMF 2.0.x installation. Just make sure that your database doesn't have sp tables from previous installations as this version completely breaks the backwards compatibility.

Offline processor

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
The comment system is also standalone. It's no longer connected to forum topics/posts in any way. I haven't decided how to handle images and thumbnails for articles but I have been thinking about a media module, something like Wordpress has.

You can check the progress out for yourself here:

https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal/tree/dev

It can be installed on an SMF 2.0.x installation. Just make sure that your database doesn't have sp tables from previous installations as this version completely breaks the backwards compatibility.

Great move. In mine example i haven't made a thumbnail solution, i just added an additional form on "?action=portal;sa=addarticle" to add a sanitized url to an image that would in turn be displayed as a "thumbnail" on front page...that was a simple and short solution at the time which unfortunately isn't sufficient. The media module and featured picture on article would be the way to go because of open graph og:image meta tags! Very nice SiNan! I will take a look at the deposit! Btw what do you think when will this be ready for a release?

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
Thank you! We're looking forward to hearing your feedback.

As for the release date; I really have no idea. I initially planned this to be a quick release however I got too ambitious with my plans. I can just say that I'll try my best.