collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 398
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Thanks for having an interest with our portal. If you have any requests for features, have a look at the Feature Requests board.

Author Topic: Uninstall Problem when Upgrading to Simple Portal 2.3.6 from 2.3.5  (Read 13914 times)

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
  • SMF Version: 2.0.14
  • SP Version: 2.3.6
Greetings and thank you for this wonderful product. I'm having a problem on two sites I manage that is similar to a problem to posted by GamePersia in this thread:

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=13681.0

In essence, when I attempt to uninstall 2.3.5 using the SMF 2.0 Package Manager, I get warned that the uninstall will be unsuccessful due to some file errors. Upon uninstalling without fixing the errors, the forum won't come up any more and I get a blank page. I know this is probably expected behavior but since I was able to do it in the past and it still worked, I figured I'd give it a try. No such luck this time.

Anyway, I've restored the site so everything is as it was before and working fine again, but need a little help to resolve the uninstall issues to so I can upgrade. I know you're busy, but when you have time, could you please look at the attached screenshot with the list of problem files for one of the sites (http://sonomacountydsa.org/forums)  and give me some direction? Once I get that one resolved, I'll need some help on the other one too. Sorry.....

Thanks again for the great product and your support! I LOVE SMF + SIMPLE PORTAL!

Mike Vail
Windsor Ca. USA
Site #1: www.boomgaming.net/smf
Site #2: www.sonomacountydsa.org/forums
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:55:33 PM by scso1502 »
Favorite Quotes:"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
Re: Uninstall Problem when Upgrading to Simple Portal 2.3.6 from 2.3.5
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
Hello and welcome to SimplePortal!

If you can attach your index.php, QueryString.php and Subs.php files here, I can fix the conflicts for you.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »
Attached thanks so much!!!!
Favorite Quotes:"A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George Patton "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week" - General George Patton"No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other poor bastards die for theirs" - General George Patton"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - The Blues Brothers

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
Firstly, make sure that you have back-ups of the files and database. (hopefully you won't need them though)

1) Replace your index.php and QueryString.php files with the attached ones.
2) Uninstall SimplePortal 2.3.5 package ignoring the error for the 9th change to Subs.php file. (you shouldn't get any errors except for that single one - if you do, please take another screenshot for me like you did in your initial request)
3) Install SimplePortal 2.3.6 package ignoring the error for the 9th change to Subs.php file.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:36:35 PM by [SiNaN] »

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »
I'm sorry but the QueryString.php file still reports an unsuccessful test when preparing to uninstall 2.3.5. I'll hold off until you give the ok to proceed.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:24:33 PM by Mike Vail »

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
Sorry, I think I wasn't thinking clearly at that time. I have revised my last post. Can you see if that helps you?

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:45 AM »
Absolutely no reason to apologize. YOU'RE HELPING ME!!!

This worked perfectly and I'm updated now on one of the two forums.

I have one more site that I'm having trouble with (http://ww.boomgaming.net). On this one I tried to uninstall 2.3.5 even though it had a few errors and the forum crashed completely. I was able to restore it using the Legacy Restore option of my VPS webserver but now the package manager says SP 2.3.5 isn't loaded anymore even though it's actually loaded and running. Would you mind looking at this one more for me? I've attached the problem files and the screenshot for you (see the next post for the screenshot) find you have time to look into this.

I'm wondering how to prevent these errors in the future? Is there something I can do to prevent them? What's causing them?

Warmest regards and many thanks!
Mike Vail
Windsor, CA. USA
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:13:34 AM by Mike Vail »

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 02:09:58 AM »
Here's the screenshot. I had to upload it separately because of the 5-file limit here on the site.

Thank you.
Mike Vail

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:41:01 AM »
You will get warning errors during the install test if the code of SMF has already been changed by other modifications you have installed.

This problem also happens on uninstall.

Modifications change basic software code, they are not like plugins.
During install or uninstall usually a search command is used to find the places changed ( FIND AND MATCH CODE). If those lines of code have been changed by something else it gives a warning message.
Files will not be changed if you proceed so could crash your website. Those changes need to be made manually... which I hate doing.

Best to use as few mods as possible. The more mods, the more code changes, and usually more problems.

You can 'reverse' order uninstall mods to avoid this (all mod changes are put in a zip files in the packages backup folder with dates included). Check the dates using ftp or a file manager and uninstall backwards until Simple Portal. Uninstall it and install the new version, then reinstall all your mods back.

My way ...
Usually twice a year I update everything and delete most of the files, except special website photos and files, and the settings.php file. My avatars or in a custom folder.
I use the SMF large upgrade package to put SMF back and then install all the mods again (latest versions).
This way I know everything is up to date and few manual edits are needed.

I almost never use Mods that require manual edits - not worth the trouble. But even mods that do not require manual edits will interfere with each other this way if you use too many.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:50:11 AM by andy »
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline Mike Vail

• Semi Newbie
    • BOOM! Gaming Community
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I will take your advice and work backward to get where I need to be in the future.

Have a great week and thanks again!

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
Mike Vail, I'm really sorry that I didn't get back to your regarding this sooner. Anything I can do for you at this time? Do you still need help with the update?

Offline kapearl

• Just Registered
  • SMF Version: 2.0.9
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Mike while starting the process of upgrading from 2.3.5 yo 2.3.6 during the uninstall step. I've attached the files that prompt errors after clicking uninstall via the package manager and a screenshot. For me it's Subs, QueryString & Display.php. Mostly Sources/Subs.php

I'm currently running SP 2.3.5 on SMF 2.0.9. SP is running beautifully with absolutely no issues but want to make sure I stay up to date! Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:18 AM »
You must have used a lot of mods.  You can uninstall everything in reverse order and then reinstall (new versions best). Or do what I said further up the post.

I doubt anyone is going to make all the manual edits for you... but you might be lucky.
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running