collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 395
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: Issue w/ blocks on pages  (Read 7037 times)

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.9
  • SP Version: 2.3.6
Issue w/ blocks on pages
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
I ran into an issue this morning that has not been a problem previously and I can't find any correlating errors.

This morning I removed Pretty URLs and everything seems to work fine. Not sure if it's related but now when I go to edit a page and remove any visible blocks it doesn't save my changes. The blocks won't remove, open settings and they are still set to visible.

It's the right panel blocks I am trying to remove. I was able to add a shoutbox to the top panel and remove it successfully but I am still unable to remove any of the blocks from the right panel on any pages. I know this worked last week.

Any ideas?

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
  • SMF Version: 2.1
  • EhPortal Version: 1.22
Re: Issue w/ blocks on pages
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
SeeingBlue,
This most likely has something to do with that Pretty URL mod that you had installed and the cache.
Navigate to maintenance and run the following:

Routine -> Find and repair any errors
Routine -> Recount all forum totals and statistics
Routine -> Empty the file cache
Database -> Optimize all tables

Afterwards you should also clear your browser history then log back into your forum and attempt to configure Simple Portal blocks again.

Regards.

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
Thanks Underdog. I did everything you said. Ran those 4 maintenance options, logged out. Cleared my browsers Cookies, Cache, and Saved offline data, restarted the browser and I'm still getting the same results. Where is this data stored in the database, can I change it there? Is there something I can look at to see were it's failing?

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »

SeeingBlue,

You can change things from the database but I do not advise it.
I attempted to install both Pretty URL and Simple Portal, created some blocks, removed Pretty URL and I had no issue with editing or removing blocks. I do not seem to be able to duplicate this issue.

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
I also had to run the fixes listed on this page to get Pretty URLs to work after I had changed SMF's directory. Ran the code listed under both Every link causes 404 Not Found errors & Links point to old domain after moving forum. Wonder if those had anything to do with it?

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »

Are you stating that you moved your forum recently just prior to this occurring?
If so then it is possibly some improper path settings.
There is a tool at SMF to fix those issues, it is called repair_settings, if you need to use it just make sure you only fix all the paths and then save it. Do not use the remove hooks option unless you have no mods installed.

Regards.

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
I changed directories before I installed Pretty URLs. At that time I did use repair_settings.php but this did not fix the Pretty URLs problem I was having(Pretty URLs was still trying to use old my directory). Ultimately I had to end up using the 2 fixes I listed above provided by Pretty URLs to fix the issue. After Pretty URLs started interfering with other subdirectories and BurkeKnight's suggestion I decided to uninstall Pretty URLs. I tried running repair_settings.php again and I am still having this issue. It's simply not saving the fact that I removed blocks from the right panel of my pages... Don't forget that I am able to add blocks to other panels and remove those successfully.

Offline ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
    • Virtual Interactive Games Entertainment™
  • SMF Version: 2.0.13
  • Elkarte Version: 1.0.6
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:13 PM »
I would say go to EACH file edited by Pretty URLs ad verify that it DID remove the code correctly or if somethinkg went wrong...
Have you tried SimplePortal Documentation before asking? ;)
F.A.Q.  English Support  |  Blocks Support
Fancy Feature idea ?!  |  Blocks Requests
Themes & Graphics

? My job! ?No PMs for support unless it's a paid request. Thank you! :)#OpIsis

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
Im not making any progress with this issue. Can we assume that pretty links did not cause the issue for a moment?

I created a new blank page. The right blocks showed up automatically. I manually added the left and top blocks then tried to remove them all. The left and top blocks were removed properly, but the right blocks still remained.

What files/process are involved in removing these blocks. I'm just trying to narrow the search down.

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:20 AM »
Uninstalling some of those url mods does not always work. I tested some that were available a few years ago and had lots of problems even after they were gone. Not all files are deleted....

I would check the htaccess file as url rewriting will be done from that file. Sometimes the mods do not replace the settings in that to pre-install condition.
Often the best policy if to clear everything out and start over with 100% new files. If you do that, repair settings, and change the htaccess files then it could only be something in the database. I doubt it is a setting in the database.

Its best to show screenshots of your site settings/repair settings. If you missed something the problem could continue while looking for answers in other places.
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:11 PM »
No files have been left behind. .htaccess is empty. I've checked all the modifications one by one. Nothing seems out of line. A complete reinstall is really out of the question, I've put to much work in to redo it all.

I am willing to share screenshots or even access of my site to any Simpleportal staff that believes they can help.

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
Try to reinstall SimplePortal maybe? You won't lose the data if you don't manually choose to remove them. No clues if it will work or not but I think it can't do any harm...
Themes & Graphics

Offline SeeingBlue

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Try to reinstall SimplePortal maybe? You won't lose the data if you don't manually choose to remove them. No clues if it will work or not but I think it can't do any harm...

Would reinstalling Simpleportal reset any modification that other mods may have made?

Offline Chen Zhen

• The Underdog
  • Operations Manager
  • Kinesis
    • WebDev
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »
SeeingBlue,

Most likely it will only effect any Simple Portal plug-ins. If you have any Simple Portal plug-ins installed you should uninstall those prior to uninstalling Simple Portal. After installing Simple Portal anew you can then install plugins for it again. During this process I will advise to ensure all up to date version (SP or plugins) are being installed (just mentioning this in case they are old versions).

Regards.

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Yep.

Would reinstalling Simpleportal reset any modification that other mods may have made?
SP is a thing, other mods are another one ;) if those mods are not affecting SP I don't see any connection between the two...
Themes & Graphics