collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 687
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Installation errors? Mod incompatibilities? Upgrade problems? Make your way over to the Install and Upgrade Support board for all your solutions!

Author Topic: Simple Portal Admin button non-existent  (Read 20044 times)

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.6
  • SP Version: 2.3.6
Simple Portal Admin button non-existent
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
It is to my understanding that there is supposed to be a button to take you to the configuration of SimplePortal. Well there isn't... :D

I just installed the package and I can't configure/edit anything because there is no button to take me to the place I need to do that...

If you wanna see my forum, it is at http://sensatusclan.com
The theme is an edited version of Reseller.

Thanks

Offline ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
    • Virtual Interactive Games Entertainment™
  • SMF Version: 2.0.13
  • Elkarte Version: 1.0.6
Re: Simple Portal Admin button non-existent
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:21:26 AM »
It should be under "Admin" and then it should have added an huge sub category called "SimplePortal".
Should be here, actually: http://sensatusclan.com/index.php?action=admin;area=portalconfig

Also make sure you are using your admin account and that you have full admin permissions ;)
Have you tried SimplePortal Documentation before asking? ;)
F.A.Q.  English Support  |  Blocks Support
Fancy Feature idea ?!  |  Blocks Requests
Themes & Graphics

? My job! ?No PMs for support unless it's a paid request. Thank you! :)#OpIsis

Offline Ron-KK4HGY

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.8
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
Yep, that's the way it works for me.  I do have a problem with drop down menus covering up the "Simple Portal" sometimes and have to move the cursor around to get past the drop downs and find it.

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »
If that is the case you should probably have a word with the theme author, sounds like a bdaly configured .css dropdown to me.
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »
It should be under "Admin" and then it should have added an huge sub category called "SimplePortal".
Should be here, actually: http://sensatusclan.com/index.php?action=admin;area=portalconfig

Also make sure you are using your admin account and that you have full admin permissions ;)
That link does nothing as I said, the admin panel doesn't exist. I have tried messing with all of the permissions, and chmodding, before and after reinstalling.
If that is the case you should probably have a word with the theme author, sounds like a bdaly configured .css dropdown to me.
I changed the theme back to the SMF default and still nothing. The admin panel just literally does not exist for SimplePortal.

I also tried all of the trouble shooting and such given in the help documentation.

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »
Simple Portal was probably not installed correctly then. That could be several things, there is a section on install problems here.

Maybe other mod edits interfered with the install but if using the package manager then there would be error warning. Sometimes people do not see this and continue.
Sometimes scripts can get stopped before finishing on cheap hosts or if the server experiences problems = unfinished install.
Or file permissions - another common problem on some hosts.
If you tried a manual install then most likely a mistake you made.

You need to uninstall and try again. Best to take screenshots for each page if support needed.

Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Simple Portal was probably not installed correctly then. That could be several things, there is a section on install problems here.

Maybe other mod edits interfered with the install but if using the package manager then there would be error warning. Sometimes people do not see this and continue.
Sometimes scripts can get stopped before finishing on cheap hosts or if the server experiences problems = unfinished install.
Or file permissions - another common problem on some hosts.
If you tried a manual install then most likely a mistake you made.

You need to uninstall and try again. Best to take screenshots for each page if support needed.
Lets break this down....
I am sure I installed it correctly. And I have checked the installation documents and tried everything there that it suggests for problems. Nothing.

I have tried uninstalling all other mods before installing SimplePortal. Nothing.

I used the package manager, and I ensured that there were no errors. Nothing.

I tried both manual and package manager install. Nothing.

Here is a quick update.
What I have tried:
- Make file permissions 777 for the folders "Themes" and "Sources".
- Uninstall + Reinstall the mod, both before and after changing permissions.
- I made a test website, with a fresh database and forum install, and the mod worked with no problems. But trying the exact same steps on my original forum comes with the problem of no admin panel.
- Check error logs (There is nothing)

I feel like it has something to do with the database some how. I completely uninstalled my forum (backing up my database that contains the data of my already registered members + all of their posts), installed the forum, uploaded my backed up database and it didn't work. I feel like there is something to do with my backed up database that is causing something to go wrong. Does anybody know which table in the database it could be? If not the database, what do you think it could be?

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »
That link does nothing as I said, the admin panel doesn't exist. I have tried messing with all of the permissions, and chmodding, before and after reinstalling.
Would have been more useful telling us what happens when you tried to follow that link.

File permissions at 777 are too high, they can cause problems, 755 is ideal. More precisely - 755 on folders and 644 on files is usually considered the best setting. It is a never-ending debate about those but 755 and 644 do work.

Saying that there is "nothing" is borderline useless. Giving us details such as "it doesn't show up and I get redirected to the board index when I try to access the link you provided" is way more useful and allows us to understand better what is going on.

The database has nothing to deal with this, 99,99%

My thoughts would point towards the Load.php file, have a look if the edits have been performed correctly especially in that file. The only way would be to manually check ALL edits, but give priority to Load.php, sounds like the Portal initialize is not being loaded at all, which would be a 1-line fix, fairly easy and stupid but vital :P

More likely some other mod interfered with the installation in some way or the server had some issues etc, exactly as andy rightfully pointed out right before me. Best way to exclude server issues would be to clone the forum on a test server hosted elsewhere on a free host (NOT GoDaddy, please). Suggesting Altervista, wonderful for testing purposes, not good for live sites.

If all of these fail the only choice would be to ask you full admin permissions and try to install it ourselves, andy is surely a trusted member, I am not in the official Support Team so if you don't trust me as well I won't blame you ;)
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Would have been more useful telling us what happens when you tried to follow that link.

File permissions at 777 are too high, they can cause problems, 755 is ideal. More precisely - 755 on folders and 644 on files is usually considered the best setting. It is a never-ending debate about those but 755 and 644 do work.

Saying that there is "nothing" is borderline useless. Giving us details such as "it doesn't show up and I get redirected to the board index when I try to access the link you provided" is way more useful and allows us to understand better what is going on.

The database has nothing to deal with this, 99,99%

My thoughts would point towards the Load.php file, have a look if the edits have been performed correctly especially in that file. The only way would be to manually check ALL edits, but give priority to Load.php, sounds like the Portal initialize is not being loaded at all, which would be a 1-line fix, fairly easy and stupid but vital :P

More likely some other mod interfered with the installation in some way or the server had some issues etc, exactly as andy rightfully pointed out right before me. Best way to exclude server issues would be to clone the forum on a test server hosted elsewhere on a free host (NOT GoDaddy, please). Suggesting Altervista, wonderful for testing purposes, not good for live sites.

If all of these fail the only choice would be to ask you full admin permissions and try to install it ourselves, andy is surely a trusted member, I am not in the official Support Team so if you don't trust me as well I won't blame you ;)
I have set all of the permissions to what you had said. Still didn't work. And sorry, the link posted actually took me to the main 'Admin Main Page', rather than anything relating to SimplePortal. I have tried removing all mods as well, still didn't work. And I have contacted Andy through PM. Hoping that he can fix this for me and won't mind. I still have faith in this thread.

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
  • Elkarte Version: None
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:18 PM »
He is right, 777 file permissions cause problems on some servers. If the test folder worked then file permissions shouldnt be a problem.

And probably not the database but you could delete all Simple Portal tables if you want to make sure. They have forum prefix plus "_sp_".
Example "smf_sp_something".

There are about 8-10 tables and you could 'drop' them from the database, but you would lose all previous Simple Portal settings and data.

As a clean install worked in your test folder than it is most likely trouble in your files. I do what Im going to say next often when testing mods and changing the forum. This never fails....

Delete all files, except  settings.php, folders like avatars and attachments, and any others you need. You can leave the error files like 404.

Get the large upgrade package from SMF and unpack it on your server. Run the large upgrade. It also makes sure the database is up to date.

Then install Simple Portal before any other mods.

Im sorry I cant log in there to help now, I have a lot to do at the moment and tax return to finish by next week.
Andy
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
I did the permissions with no success. 755 for folders, 644 for files.

I also installed a fresh forum on a separate sub domain as a test. It worked. But then I extracted my database (from the original website), on to the new (test) website, and it gave me the problem again. Is there anything in the database that could be pointing things in the wrong direction? Everything works perfectly find without this specific database, but I REALLY want to avoid making all of my users register again and start from nothing.

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Let's try to tackle this annoying thingy! Mods installed list, even if that would be the first time that I had ever seen a database interfering with a mod.
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »
Currently, on the test site, there are no mods installed. There was never any others installed on the test site.

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Doesn't matter. The database HAS been affected by the mods you had installed before on the live site so the question does make sense even if it might have seemed otherwise at a first glance ;) so once again, mods list that are/were installed on the live site :)
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Doesn't matter. The database HAS been affected by the mods you had installed before on the live site so the question does make sense even if it might have seemed otherwise at a first glance ;) so once again, mods list that are/were installed on the live site :)
Ooh, good point. ;)
Let me see if I can remember...
@mention, and like 2 anti-spam mods. 1 of which was "Are you human/bot?", and the other one I don't remember. Both of those are gone now because I have moved on. I am also going to have a look through the tables that I think could have something to do with it, and see if I can find something. But I am not really sure what to look for. Worth a try though.

Edit: What are the absolute ONLY tables I would need to back up my forum? Members, their threads/posts, banned users, etc. I can try only keeping those and try starting fresh again with only those specific things backed up.

Edit 2: In the middle of making supper with my girlfriend, I thought to let you know that I am using 1and1 as my host, in case that matters. Which I think it does matter.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:50:28 PM by brianwilcox »

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:26 AM »
Well the question made some sense also because I'm one of those mad guys who has successfully installed well over 130 mods on his forum ;D including are you human one for example, so it's not that, at least.
Unfortunately I don't have @mentions installed on my forum, however, given the fact that the mod has been done by an extremely skilled coder and the fact that it never happened to anybody else makes me think it's not that either.
4 things that I may ask this time:
1) what happens if you run the repair tool in maintenance tools? Does it solve any issue? Hint: the one saying "Find and repair errors" and "Optimize all tables" as well.
2) Ask your host if you have full CHOWN permissions on your files, if not, have them set those for you. Basically those permissions are a little bit different than CHMOD ones (you know the 755. 777. 664 and such), CHOWN controls the files ownership. Some hosts don't allow their customer to be the full owners of their files, and that may cause issues. Since I have seen this being done by 1&1 please check with them.
3) HOW did you backup your database? I *strongly* hope you didn't use the SMF built-in system - if you did, scratch that backup and use the cPanel feature. it's MUCH more reliable and less lilely to cause issues.
4) Silly question but just wanted to be sure this is not being an issue... What PHP version are you using? If you don't know how to discover it then:
Code: [Select]
<?php phpinfo() ?>Just put that single line of code in a PHP file, and run it on your server by pointing your browser on it. That's it! By running the file you should have all of the PHP information you need.

Best regards and fingers crossed hoping to see something "bad" in your reply, making me understand where the issue is or might be. ;D

P.s.:
Edit: What are the absolute ONLY tables I would need to back up my forum? Members, their threads/posts, banned users, etc. I can try only keeping those and try starting fresh again with only those specific things backed up.
Going down this path is quite risky, you may delete something you need and viceversa. Moreover it doesn't usually solve issues, if an hook function is still working it will make the forum crash because it wouldn't be able to find the correct db table or column needed for it to work.

Edit 2: In the middle of making supper with my girlfriend, I thought to let you know that I am using 1and1 as my host, in case that matters. Which I think it does matter.
Hope you had a good dinner at least ;) I am at my gf's as well :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:42:09 AM by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ »
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
After running those forum maintenance tasks that you mentioned, we encountered a small problem.

Execute Modification ./Themes/default/scripts/script.js Test Failed

Replace ./Themes/default/scripts/script.js Test Failed

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
I think you can pretty much download the default one and just replace it in case it causes problems, but that is not being the problem.
What about the other things?
Themes & Graphics

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:33 PM »
PHP: 5.5.20

About to contact my host.

Offline brianwilcox

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:05 AM »
Still no luck with this situation, but I have moved on and just created a WordPress website. Gonna try to create a bridge between the 2. Thanks to the people who attempted to help me.