Social > General Discussion

W3C and You.

(1/2) > >>

SteveFJ:
I've noticed that a lot of people use templates that fail to pass with W3C. Which is a pity because a lot of people work hard customising their site to look good.
http://www.w3.org/

Most browsers today are leaning more towards being W3C compliant, and that includes Internet Explorer.

A web site can be made to work quite well with coding errors, but what might not be realised is that where a coding error occurs, it causes the rest of the page to be misread, and that includes anything that might be called in  to the main body area. Depending on the nature of the coding error, while a coding error might not make itself known now it can do in the future due to updates from SMF, SP, and any other mods that might be in use.

What I would recommend is that before using any template or mod, first make sure it passes with W3C. The chances are high in the users favour of having no problems if they do. Problems can be difficult to determine their true cause when they fail.

When making modifications, first make a back up of the page being modified, then check with W3C to ensure the page still passes. If that is done throughout, then issues are much less likely to occur, though they can still happen.

I hope that is helpful to some.

JBlaze:
This is actually a standard practice for me and any site I work on.

If I am installing a mod/theme on a site, I go through and make sure it is XHTML Strict and W3C Compliant as well.

Succeded:
Good recommendation. Though most website or theme developers check if they pass with W3C.

SteveFJ:
Most might, I agree, and I think everyone involved with SP certainly does, but unfortunately it isn't true of everyone. In fact Simple Portal wasn't the first front page portal I looked at because I got to hear of another first, and that currently fails with W3C. I think it's mostly templates though.

Only the other day I checked a template with the style rules not only set in the divs, but in capital letters too, so I'm inclined to think that particular one was done by a designer that's been around for a while but who hasn't kept up with the times.

I might be wrong here, but I also suspect that there are some setting up shop and calling themselves Web site Designers when in fact they know very little, and who might never even heard of W3C.

ccbtimewiz:
Counter-argument:

http://www.webforefront.com/archives/2007/07/html_5.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version