Development > Feature Requests

"Add as Article" button should become "Remove as Article"

(1/2) > >>

amlucent:
I have started using SP 2.3 on my site and its great!

I have one suggestion, well two but they are kind of super closely related.  I would like to suggest that the "Add as Article" button become "Remove as Article" after a post has become an article.  This is the same behavior the sticky topic button already exhibits.

This is the button I am talking about:

Here is an example of the behavior suggested: sticky and non sticky

Additionally, I suggest that a check box be placed under "additional options" when making a post that will make the topic an article. 

Of course these options would only be visible if the user has the appropriate "Manage Portal Articles" and "Add Articles" permissions of SP 2.3.  I think making these small changes will make using articles included in SP that much more simple, intuitive, and user friendly  ;).  I know traditionally release client software means a feature freeze and if that is the case please consider this for the next version of SP.  Thank you!

NIBOGO:
I agree with this, it's really easy to do so I think of they can include it in the next release

[SiNaN]:
Well, if you are very much liking to have another query on that page, I've no problems. ;)

Nathaniel:
Not sure why it needs another query. Look at the edits below, they would be the edits for the Display.php file (SMF 2 RC1.2/SP 2.3).

--- Code: ("Find") ---t.num_replies, t.num_views, t.locked, ms.subject, t.is_sticky, t.id_poll,
--- End code ---

--- Code: ("Replace") ---t.num_replies, t.num_views, t.locked, ms.subject, t.is_sticky, t.id_poll, IFNULL(a.id_article, 0) AS is_article,
--- End code ---

--- Code: ("Find") --- LEFT JOIN {db_prefix}log_mark_read AS lmr ON (lmr.id_board = {int:current_board} AND lmr.id_member = {int:current_member})') . '

--- End code ---

--- Code: ("Replace") --- LEFT JOIN {db_prefix}log_mark_read AS lmr ON (lmr.id_board = {int:current_board} AND lmr.id_member = {int:current_member})') . '
LEFT JOIN {db_prefix}sp_articles AS a ON (a.id_message = t.id_first_msg)
--- End code ---

--- Code: ("Find") --- $context['topic_first_message'] = $topicinfo['id_first_msg'];
--- End code ---

--- Code: ("Replace") --- $context['topic_first_message'] = $topicinfo['id_first_msg'];
$context['is_article'] = !empty($topicinfo['is_article']);
--- End code ---

Of course, the code in the template will have to be changed, another language string will need to be added, but it should be possible. The only issue that could occur, would be with Article Approval.

amlucent:
Hey guys I proposed these features a long time ago and I think the second part of my post was over looked and I still think that it would be a good little feature.  Obviously it will just add to the usability of simple portal.

--- Quote from: amlucent on August 10, 2009, 06:03:38 PM ---
Additionally, I suggest that a check box be placed under "additional options" when making a post that will make the topic an article. 

Of course these options would only be visible if the user has the appropriate "Manage Portal Articles" and "Add Articles" permissions of SP 2.3.  I think making these small changes will make using articles included in SP that much more simple, intuitive, and user friendly  ;).  I know traditionally release client software means a feature freeze and if that is the case please consider this for the next version of SP.  Thank you!

--- End quote ---

I find that I often create a post with the sole intention of making it an article so having the checkbox under additional options would save an additional step.  Also I think this is a logical place for this option and new users of Simple Portal would naturally check in this place for this option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version