collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 516
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Welcome to SimplePortal.net! You can download SimplePortal from the Downloads Area!

Author Topic: SMF 2 -Final, Stable release  (Read 9299 times)

Offline Lineman

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC4
  • SP Version: 2.3.3
SMF 2 -Final, Stable release
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
I am just wondering if SP will work with the final SMF 2?

I have the latest SP with RC5 and want to upgrade to the final stable release of SMF 2.

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC5
Re: SMF 2 -Final, Stable release
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »
I couldn't get it to install, but there may be a way to change a line of code to allow it to install.  I'm not a programmer so I can't help.

Offline slop_chute

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
On package install - did you try using the advanced option and set the version for the package.  I did upgrade to 2.0 final on my XAMPP (test server)  install and have a mix of RC4 and RC5 mods installed.

Setting the version to SMF 2.0 and applying the install mod link will appear.

This is assuming that SP has never been installed, I have only done this on my test server and not the live site. Fair warning ....   For an SMF upgrade I usually de-install all the mods which sometimes causes additional overheard or work to get things in the original state after the upgrade.

Probably best to wait to hear what the plan is for SP..

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:12:47 PM by slop_chute »

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
Yup, did all of that for other mods.  Ironically, it installed when I went back to 2.0 only after a fresh upload.  Wouldn't do that before, but did now.  I'm not questioning it.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:58:40 AM »
SP 2.3.3 will work fine on SMF 2.0 final. However, due to copyright changes in 2.0 final, the copyright for SP may not look that good and that's why I haven't marked SP as 2.0 final compatible yet. We'll be releasing a new version soon which will fix that and all other bugs reported.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline Lineman

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »
Thank you SiNaN  :D

Offline c23_Mike

• Beta Tester
    • c23 Computer, Gaming & more
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
Hi there!

Wonderful, so I will wait with SMF 2Final until 2.3.4 is out to get full compatibility.

Ah and pls do not forget to update your "Costum Portal" Mod to it! Its really great!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:33:16 PM by c23_Mike »

Offline tfs

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »
SP 2.3.3 will work fine on SMF 2.0 final. However, due to copyright changes in 2.0 final, the copyright for SP may not look that good and that's why I haven't marked SP as 2.0 final compatible yet. We'll be releasing a new version soon which will fix that and all other bugs reported.

I wonder if you've given any thought to an option to remove (or purchase the right to remove) the SimplePortal copyright?  Reason being, now that SMF license allows full removal of their copyright, that would leave the SimplePortal copyright down there alone, which looks odd.

Offline ReesBeest

• SMF Version: None
  • SP Version: None
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:38 AM »
Why would you like to remove the copyright thingy. It's all for FREE, the forum, the portal and lots of mods.

The least you MUST do is leave the copyright there where it should belong!

Just my personal opinion.

Offline tfs

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
Why would you like to remove the copyright thingy. It's all for FREE, the forum, the portal and lots of mods.

Because I'd like to use this product in a corporate environment, for a professional looking web page.  And I'd like to trick the visitors to that page into thinking that I have the skills to do it without anyone else.

Offline sremick

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC2
  • SP Version: 2.3.1
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »

The least you MUST do is leave the copyright there where it should belong!

Just my personal opinion.

Because the copyright need be and should only be within the source code, where it belongs. That's all that's necessary for it to be effective. Copyrights which are forced to be emblazoned on every visible page aren't "copyrights"... they're advertisements. Not all of us want ad-plagued forums.

One of the things with SMF is a strong emphasis on a simplistic core and the use of mods (extensions) to add the desired functionality and customize the final product. As a result, one has to use a large number of mods to get a full feature set. There is a disturbing trend now for all mods to tag on their own ads (euphemised as "copyrights") to the bottom of every page... a lot more-so now than used to be the case with SMF 1.x.  I have 90 some odd mods on my SMF 1.x production site, and not a single one felt the need to use my forum as advertising space for some "copyright" (except SMF itself). However, on my test SMF 2.0 site, I've only installed 20 of my desired mods and I already have 4 copyrights making my footer ugly... and some contain broken HTML. At that pace, I'd have close to 20 "copyrights" (ads) tagged on every single page.

I respect the hard work of authors providing these mods for free, the need for copyright, and the desire to get "credit". But that's the purpose of the special "credits" page in SMF and should be the exclusive place for such advertising, while the "copyright" notice should only be placed within the source code where it belongs... meanwhile leaving the overall site ad-free without an unreasonable burden on the site aesthetics. While each individual mod creator might feel that "one copyright isn't 'unreasonable'", the fact is that no one uses only one mod, and when all the mod authors take this stance (as is becoming the trend) they pile up and it is indeed unreasonable.

I mean no disrespect... but I hope that sensible minds can prevail here. The current "copyright" trend craze isn't ok and I hope for a shift back to good habits so that SMF and SMF-forum admins can have good-looking sites again. :)

Thanks... and cheers...

Offline cloksin

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »

Any sort of timeline when you think that version will be released?  I'm working on upgrading my site to 2.0, rebuilding it from scratch then just moving the database over, and I'd hate to get almost done only to have 2.3.4 released and have to start the whole process all over again.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
{copyright discussion}
I don't think it's unfair for SP to put a visible copyright link under the SMF copyright. It's a large mod. I agree, though, that simple mods starting to add visible copyright link to every page is insane.

However, since you are now able to remove SMF copyright, we're seriously considering getting rid of SP copyright link in the footer as well. It's not going to change for 2.3.4 but it may in 2.4.

Any sort of timeline when you think that version will be released?  I'm working on upgrading my site to 2.0, rebuilding it from scratch then just moving the database over, and I'd hate to get almost done only to have 2.3.4 released and have to start the whole process all over again.

We avoid giving release dates however I'm hoping for sometime during the first week of July. This is not an official release date and may change. If you are fine with how copyright looks with 2.3.3 version, there shouldn't be any other problems with it. You'll be able to upgrade to 2.3.4 easily when it's out.

Offline pilami

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
we've installed last simple portal version on a fresh SMF v2 , without any problem !

Offline Oldiesmann

• Comrade
    • Archie Comics Fan Forum
  • SMF Version: 2.1
  • SP Version: None
  • EhPortal Version: 1.22
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
{copyright discussion}
I don't think it's unfair for SP to put a visible copyright link under the SMF copyright. It's a large mod. I agree, though, that simple mods starting to add visible copyright link to every page is insane.

However, since you are now able to remove SMF copyright, we're seriously considering getting rid of SP copyright link in the footer as well. It's not going to change for 2.3.4 but it may in 2.4.

Every other portal mod for SMF adds a copyright, as do portals for other forum systems. I see no problem with leaving one there, but if you really do want to go that route, make it visible by default and include a setting to hide it. That way people who like showing off the power of SMF and its mods can still do so, while those who would prefer to let others think that they designed it themselves can do so as well :)
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom

Offline c23_Mike

• Beta Tester
    • c23 Computer, Gaming & more
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
Hi there!

How things are going for 2.3.4 since some time is ago since SMF2 is ready?

Offline pilami

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
up ! =)

Offline tfs

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »

Any new thoughts on this option?

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
I have to admit I had forgotten about this. I'll discuss this with the team and get back to you. Feel free to bump this if you don't get any replies from me in a week.

Offline tfs

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
This doesn't really matter on most of the forums I run, but there's one that is a technical help desk, and I avoid stacking up copyrights at the bottom of the page if at all possible.