Development > Feature Requests

Blocks above header?

<< < (3/3)

SimianSteam:

--- Quote from: AngelinaBelle on May 10, 2014, 08:11:33 AM ---I get it now.  So what I suggested is not perfectly ideal for you.  Every time you want to make a change, you would have to edit all of your active themes.

What you really want is a theme that is a "simple portal block anywhere" design
That means creating some theme options for "block above header ID". "Block below header ID", "omit header", etc.

This is something I have never done.

--- End quote ---

Maybe I'm throwing out "Pie in the sky" ideas, or maybe it's something that could be considered for a later version of SimplePortal. I just think it would make forum design really easy. You'd only have to change colors and backgrounds, and could use SP to re-arrange everything else.

AngelinaBelle:
I am sorry. I think I have put the emphasis all wrong here.

I agree.  That is a really fun and interesting idea for a future version of SimplePortal.
I imagine that it might require some very serious theme modification -- even a custom theme full of hooks for hooking things in (like "designate a block container here and call it cucumber") and unhooking the "default" things.

This is a very innovative way of thinking about things, and so would take a lot or re-thinking.

In the shorter timescale, I was trying to think of ways you could easily customize your favorite theme to put a block where you want it.

SimianSteam:

--- Quote from: AngelinaBelle on May 12, 2014, 01:39:55 PM ---I am sorry. I think I have put the emphasis all wrong here.

I agree.  That is a really fun and interesting idea for a future version of SimplePortal.
I imagine that it might require some very serious theme modification -- even a custom theme full of hooks for hooking things in (like "designate a block container here and call it cucumber") and unhooking the "default" things.

This is a very innovative way of thinking about things, and so would take a lot or re-thinking.

In the shorter timescale, I was trying to think of ways you could easily customize your favorite theme to put a block where you want it.

--- End quote ---

No worries. One of the major problems with the internet is that it's soooo easy to misinterpret words without context.

I'm glad you like the idea. It's one of those things that fits into the category of "Stuff I'd Like To Be Able To Do", but not in the category of "Stuff I Need To Do", if you know what I mean. Since I installed a Coppermine gallery the whole thing would get nightmarishly complex for a newb like me anyways. I'm sticking with a simple theme and SimplePortal for this first rev. Maybe in a few months I'll get off my butt and finish my coding classes and put some effort into making Above the Header blocks a reality.

Thank you for your help!

AngelinaBelle:
That is a really cool idea.  You'll find, if you study how SMF is organized and how the themes work, that it is possible to radically redesign a theme like that.  For example, the Elkarte team created a responsive version of the default CURVE theme.

You'll also see that SMF uses hooks in the code to make it possible to optionally add functionality at those locations.

So it should certainly be possible to add hooks to allow you to choose where to put stuff.

You can also look on this site for a JavaScript -based mod [SiNaN] created some time back that allows users to rearrange the blocks by dragging them around.

And you will be able to see that all the code for SimplePortal is available at GitHub. So you can learn a lot by looking through the code.  And, some day, when you have learned quite a bit, you could even be the person who creates the feature you want.  Something to look forward to!  Enjoy your coding class,and enjoying developing the power to make things happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version