Development > Feature Requests

Blocks above header?

<< < (2/3) > >>

AngelinaBelle:
I don't think I would try to put your "entire forum" into a block.

If you just really want to reorganize what your portal page or other pages of your forum look like, you might want to consider a custom theme -- and then customize it some more.

What will be easiest and best will depend on what you are trying to do.
What is it you want to put at the top of your forum, or in place of the forum header?

SimianSteam:

--- Quote from: AngelinaBelle on May 09, 2014, 01:25:02 PM ---I don't think I would try to put your "entire forum" into a block.

If you just really want to reorganize what your portal page or other pages of your forum look like, you might want to consider a custom theme -- and then customize it some more.

What will be easiest and best will depend on what you are trying to do.
What is it you want to put at the top of your forum, or in place of the forum header?

--- End quote ---

Supporting vendors, Banner, etc. I was hoping to make my forum completely modular. Currently I've wiped almost the entire header, leaving only the nav bar. If suppose I could kill that too, and use the Navigation block... Is there an easy way to mod the Menu block to go horizontally with drop-downs?

AngelinaBelle:
Not sure what you mean by "completely modular".
SMF themes work in "layers" -- containers within containers. 
Many things in CURVE are laid out in divs.
Simpleportal uses table elements to lay things out.

The menu in CURVE is now a horizontal list with vertical drop-downs.

Are you looking to create a vertical list with fly-outs?

Are you looking for a responsive or mobile-ready design?

SimianSteam:

--- Quote from: AngelinaBelle on May 09, 2014, 04:07:55 PM ---Not sure what you mean by "completely modular".
SMF themes work in "layers" -- containers within containers. 
Many things in CURVE are laid out in divs.
Simpleportal uses table elements to lay things out.

The menu in CURVE is now a horizontal list with vertical drop-downs.

Are you looking to create a vertical list with fly-outs?

Are you looking for a responsive or mobile-ready design?

--- End quote ---

First, LOVE your avatar.

I posted about this in the thread about the Info Center, but I'll go ahead and repeat it here:

--- Quote ---Rather than try to tweak all the components of a theme with this setup I could move stuff where ever I wanted with a few button clicks. Want the Info Center in the sidebar instead of the footer? 30 seconds. Want to have a different banner shown in various subforums? 30 seconds.

You see what I'm getting at?
--- End quote ---

I love the idea of moving stuff around, activating and deactivating features, and never having to go into the Style Sheet. I'm kinda surprised no one thought to do this before.

AngelinaBelle:
I get it now.  So what I suggested is not perfectly ideal for you.  Every time you want to make a change, you would have to edit all of your active themes.

What you really want is a theme that is a "simple portal block anywhere" design
That means creating some theme options for "block above header ID". "Block below header ID", "omit header", etc.

This is something I have never done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version