collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 880
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

If you're interested in helping other members with support requests, consider joining the Community Support Helpers group.

Author Topic: 500 Internal Server Error  (Read 4207 times)

Offline db

500 Internal Server Error
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
Hi,

Well, I recently upgraded my forum to the latest SMF version (2.0.2) from SMF 1.1.15 . Everything worked fine after that. Then, I tried installing the latest version (2.3.5) of SP.

Issue:
Before installation, all components showed 'Test Successful'. During the installation, I was asked to enter the FTP credentials. After that step, when I pressed on 'Install', my server gave up with 500 Internal server error.  From then, my forum always shows 500 error and nothing else.

Affects:
Its only the PHP files that don't work, everything else (like html, images, etc) work normally. None of the PHP files, in the root directory (apart from the subdomain /forum, where SMF is installed) work. None of my addon domains (installed in other directories) are able to work with PHP files. Hence I get 500 error even on those websites.

Attempt to resolve:
I went through all the articles/threads about 500 error on SP, but most of them didn't have the problem I have. Also, I'm hosting on Shared hosting, with no access to SSH/WHM, /var, server logs.

Action taken:
I replaced all the files of SMF installation & removed all the packages using FTP, but all in vain. I guess its the permissions part, since my host uses suPHP.

I don't know what are the permission changes exactly, that SP installation does. Apart from that, I don't know if SP installation alters the .htaccess as well. Since I don't have access to the /var, or server logs, I can't exactly figure out where exactly the error is. I also tried contacting my host, and they aren't able to provide me with good support since it has been more than 2 days that I've this problem.

Now, if I could know which directories/files permissions are altered or what changes are made to .htaccess by the SP installation, I can help myself by restoring them back to their originals.

Apart from these, what else do you think the problem could be? How do I resolve it? Any clue? Kindly assist.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:33:59 AM by db »

Offline andy

• On Leave
    • Outdoor Club Japan (OCJ) アウトドア・クラブ・ジャパン
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
  • Elkarte Version: None
Re: 500 Internal Server Error
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
Not an expert so can only make guesses until someone who knows more comes along.

If you had SMF 2.0.2 working then Im sure it can be fixed easily. It could be related to the path to your forum - was it set correctly?
How was the portal configured to work with the forum?

You could look at the htaccess file but I think you could remove it to test if it changes anything. FTP should be no problem for you.
Other than that I can only guess it is related to file permissions. You can check those.

These kind of errors can happen after upgrade if the settings change or the forum is moved/ portal files. Also even the template.

Did you run the SMF repair_settings.php file?

Can get it over at SMF in the downloads>tools I think.
That is definitely worth a try.
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline db

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
If you had SMF 2.0.2 working then Im sure it can be fixed easily. It could be related to the path to your forum - was it set correctly?
How was the portal configured to work with the forum?

Well, the path was set correct. I couldn't set configurations to the portal to work with the forum, since the forum gave up during installation itself.

You could look at the htaccess file but I think you could remove it to test if it changes anything. FTP should be no problem for you.
Other than that I can only guess it is related to file permissions. You can check those.
These kind of errors can happen after upgrade if the settings change or the forum is moved/ portal files. Also even the template.

Did you run the SMF repair_settings.php file?

Can get it over at SMF in the downloads>tools I think.
That is definitely worth a try.
Yes, I removed the .htaccess and tried, but failed.
And as I already stated, if I could know which directories/files permissions are altered or what changes are made to .htaccess by the SP installation, I can help myself by restoring them back to their originals. I, in fact, replaced the whole '/forum' directory with a fresh copy of the files, but nothing seems to work even after that.
Regarding the SMF Repair_Settings.php, it wouldn't work since none of the PHP files are working on my server. I just get the 500 error when I try to access any PHP file.

Any ideas?

Offline db

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
Bump

Please assist.

Offline Mstcool

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »
Hello,
Yes i know i am not helping( im sorry) but please dont bump your post less then 24 hours

Offline andy

• On Leave
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:18:15 AM »
You do get similar errors if the settings are incorrect so I would give it a try - using repair_settings.php.
Drop it in your forum folder and run it from your browser. It is worth checking and eliminating that case...
Everyone is a volunteer here so please try and make a small donation to keep the Simple Portal website running

Offline db

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »
Well, when PHP files ain't working, the repair_settings.php would not work.

I resolved the issue. The solution might help others. My home directory, had permission set to 777, by SP. And PHP doesn't work unless the permission set is 711.

Now things work fine. Thanks for your concerns.

Offline andy

• On Leave
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Great! Its usually one of the simple things...

I will mark it solved if thats ok.

Andy