collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 467
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: Using SimplePortal to generate content for NewsNow  (Read 4968 times)

Offline newcastle-online

• Newcastle Online
Using SimplePortal to generate content for NewsNow
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
Hello there.

As a football website we're toying with the idea of binning our WordPress-based front page site and using SimplePortal with SMF to create articles suitable for NewsNow. Is this possible, and if so does anyone have experience of doing such a thing?

We're fed up of WordPress and would like an integrated solution; retaining our forum as the basis of the site but also being able to appear on NewsNow periodically to attract new people to our opinion-based pieces.

Thanks.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
Re: Using SimplePortal to generate content for NewsNow
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
Welcome to SimplePortal.

Can you elaborate what you mean by "suitable for NewsNow"?
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline newcastle-online

• Newcastle Online
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly.

Currently we have an SMF forum and a WordPress-based front page. They are totally separate, but some forum members have been given admin rights to upload articles (opinion pieces on Newcastle United, match previews etc) directly onto WordPress. We are registered with NewsNow, which means when an article is published in WordPress it appears as a story on this page: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Newcastle+United. I believe it works via an RSS feed of our WordPress page.

What we want to do is get rid of WordPress altogether and just have our SMF forum, but retain our presence on NewsNow. So we came across SimplePortal as one of the major features is its article publishing feature, which from what I can see means a thread can be 'promoted' to appear on the portal homepage as 'news'. We want to use this function to promote standard SMF threads (those written by our piece writers) so they're 'news' and get those articles to appear on the above NewsNow link.

Now I know SMF can generate an RSS feed from any page and what we want may be possible without the need for SimplePortal at all, but considering the function to promote threads to the portal homepage it would be nice if we could marry the two elements up.

So the theory is:
  • Someone on our forum writes an opinion piece.
  • It is posted in a standard football board on our forum.
  • The thread is promoted to the SimplePortal 'news' page.
  • The article appears on the NewsNow link I posted above.

Apologies for the length! :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:56:50 PM by newcastle-online »

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »
Okay, it's more clear now.

First of all, we do not have the forum-independent articles feature implemented yet. It is still being worked on. Current articles feature, give you the ability to publish the topics that you select from various boards of you forum on your portal. It includes pagination, read more, avatar, category image etc...

Alternatively, we have the Board News block, which does the exact same thing as the articles; but the only difference is, it automatically gets topics from one definite board you select.

If you don't want your articles to be posted in forum, unfortunately, we can't help much for now.

But if it okay for you to post them into the forum, you have two options:

+ Create a read-only board and set it as News board for Board News block.
+ Use articles feature with some codes, which would create feeds for them like the board feeds.

And no need for apology. You can't imagine how details you give, makes things easier for us.

Offline newcastle-online

• Newcastle Online
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
Thanks again for your reply, I understand the articles features better now. :thumbsup:

It's fine for us to post the articles in the forum, that's what we want.

I suppose what I want to know is whether an RSS feed can be generated for the articles feature so that only the original post appears in the feed, and not the subsequent comments. If the comments appear in the feed that will flood NewsNow (I think).

To put it more simply; you have on the portal homepage of this forum a list of news articles which people have then commented on. Could an RSS feed be made for the portal homepage that only updates when there is a new news articles, or will it be updated whenever there's a comment too?

The only type of RSS feed I've seen on SMF forums shows all comments, for example: http://simpleportal.net/index.php?board=3.0;type=rss;action=.xml. I want a feed that only updates when there's a new thread.

If it's not possible to have such a feed, we'll have to use a read-only board, have the Board News block update automatically and in each article just link to a duplicate thread in our normal forum board for discussion.

I hope I've explained this correctly! :-[

Offline newcastle-online

• Newcastle Online
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
Aha!

I've found this: http://www.myurl.com/folder/index.php?board=X;sa=news;type=rss;action=.xml;limit=Y which only shows the original posts in the last (Y) threads from board (X).

So all I need to do is create a new board within my forum for articles and submit a link based on the above to NewsNow. The Board News block can automatically create news from the topics for the portal homepage and we can allow comments as the above RSS link only shows the first post, so no duplication is needed.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm sorted! :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:27:52 PM by newcastle-online »

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 07:18:01 AM »
Okay then, marking as solved.