collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Welcome to SimplePortal.net! You can download SimplePortal from the Downloads Area!

Author Topic: Problem uploading 2.3.5  (Read 7925 times)

Offline enmom

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.6
  • SP Version: None
Problem uploading 2.3.5
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I have the 2.0.6 smf and using the package manager to upload the portal. I'm getting the following error:

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I don't quite understand what it means by that. (I'm a bit challenged in that department)  I've not had any problems like this with any of the mods I've tried to upload. Can someone tell me what possibly might be wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
Re: Problem uploading 2.3.5
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
How are you getting the package file to the host computer?
Did you try to get it directly from the package server, or did you download to your PC and upload from the PC to the host computer?  Direct download has sometimes been a problem for some host servers, because of something to do with how they are set up and what SMF is expecting.

If you have attempted direct download, please try again, downloading to PC and then uploading to the host computer, and see if that works any better.

If that does not work, please try looking at the size of the package file.  Is it the correct size, or was something lost during download or upload?

Can you find the package file in your Packages directory within your SMF forum?

For more information on permissions, please read http://simpleportal.net/index.php?action=docs;area=solving_install_problems

That's a lot to take in all at once.
Please check these things out, and if your problem is still not solved, please describe exactly what you tried and what the result was.

If there is something to do with permissions, then fixing it will make future mod installs/uninstalls much easier.  If we cannot figure it out, then the part about extracting and uploading to the Packages directory may be just what you need to do.  But we'll first try to make the simpler things work.  OK?
Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

Offline enmom

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I did manage to get it uploaded. I went to the SMF support forum and downloaded there then uploaded using the package manager and had no problems.

I do seem to have another problem and not sure if this is the right place to ask or not so if not in the right place please let me know or just move it.

I'm still working in maintenance mode but have noticed when I go to the forum the top category (only) has moved all the way to the left of the board as if it is a 'left category? I tried just removing it but then the next one will do the same thing. I'm just a bit nervous that when I put it 'live' that it will continue to look that way for everyone. Is there something that I might be missing? Everything else seems to be coming right along and am very pleased with it. Just need to figure this out........Thanks

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »
Sorry for the very late response. Do you still have this problem? If yes, could you please elaborate? Some screenshots would help a lot too.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline enmom

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply and I'll try to attach a screen shot. You can see that the top category is suppose to go all the way across like the one under it but it doesn't for some reason? I just deleted it and created the 'contact' that is there now. I've pretty much gotten everything else working ok and am liking the portal.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »
I see. That looks like a theme issue but it's difficult to debug without seeing the actual code. If you would like, I could check the code out for you if you can send me a personal message with a link to your forum and the necessary (temporary) access required to reproduce the issue.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
The following is the offending code:

Themes/ClearSky_SMF2-Final/BoardIndex.template.php

Code: [Select]
         echo '<tbody><tr><td colspan="4">';
   //Display ads Between cats
   if (function_exists("show_category"))
   {
      $ads = show_category($category['id']);
      if(!empty($ads))
         if($ads['type']==0)
            echo $ads['content'];
         else
            eval($ads['content']);
      unset($ads);
   }
   echo '         </td></tr></tbody>';

That code is inserting <tbody> elements outside of <table> tags and since SimplePortal makes use of <table> tags for the layout, things get messed up. If you just remove those lines there shouldn't be any problems and it'll also fix tons of XHTML validation errors you have on that page. You can ask the author of the mod (it's again the ads mod) for a fix. I've spent half of my life fixing problems caused by other mods already.

Offline enmom

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to check things out.....So if I remove just what you have posted (all of it?) then everything should be ok? It won't effect the ads mod or anything else? Just want to make sure I don't mess anything else up.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
Yeah, you need to remove all of the code I quoted above. It won't cause any problems. The only side effects are that you won't be able to display ads between categories (I think that's what that piece of code does) and when you're uninstalling ads mod, it'll complain that it can't find a piece code that's supposed to be in BoardIndex.template.php but you should just ignore it since you remove it manually anyway. If you worry about those side effects, you'll have to ask the ads mod author to fix that issue.

Offline enmom

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Ok that's good to know and thanks again for your help.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »
You're welcome. I'll be marking this one as solved then. :)