collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 505
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Welcome to SimplePortal.net! You can download SimplePortal from the Downloads Area!

Author Topic: Back to square one  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Tonymura

• Semi Newbie
  • Its always a good day when you learn something new
  • SMF Version: 2.0.9
Back to square one
« on: December 04, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »
After several attempts to install some mods on my forum it now appears i might need to change my hosting provider to some other.
I am with Godaddy but for the life of me it now seems, although my php version 5.4.34 is up to date on the account account its somehow stopping so mods installing correctly due  to permission or ownership right what ever that means as i was told by this senior member of SMF who tried to assist me.

So disappointing after buying my domain name, as it took me so long to get my name approved as .au names in Australia take 3 day to get approve providing you have a registered business name and a valid Australian taxation number. Not like .com or .net. .info etc or whatever extension there is it only take about a hour to setup from start to finish and have a web page up and running. dot .tk are even better just 5 minutes and ready to go.

Oh buggers it looks like i am now back to square one.
The trouble is finding another host that supports smf isnt as easy am expected, especially when you dont know what your doing It make things even worse. 

I have read a few topic with regard to Goddady that other user have had and i have ben told to avoid them like the black plague. To me its seemed so easy to setup, a walk in the park to install SMF but the true fact lying benith it all was obtaining these so called full prevalgages to allow this to work correctly.

I just wasn't aware of any of these issue until now.

Not even the phone support crew are able to help me out as to why this isnt working as should.

As mentioned i did  asked a senior remember of the SMF team to look into my forum as to why my mods are not installing correctly. Has mentioned a few things and tips but nothing positive or  concrete has happened which makes me think it the server end.

he quotes....(You would have to get the host to "Re-own" or "chown" your files and folders back to your username so you can change them. Permissions is a bit different. Permissions can be changed by the owner of the account and only effect files and folders on a per file/folder basis. Which means permissions really only effect one file or folder where as ownership effects all of them. Godaddy is not a good host and many people here have had lots of problems.)

Just wanted to share with you my 2 cents worth. I am not even in the mood of writing all of this.
So disheartening. Not knowing where to start now.

This so called Simple Machine forum has become now not so simple after all.
Sure you learn allot about forums but omg there's a ton of thing to consider.
pff.....hmm,  :'( i think i might go boil an egg.
And I looked into the eyes of our beloved Saint Pope John Paul the II for a sign of his blessing to my new mod and quietly he utters the silent word beneath his breath…..”Go away noob”

Offline ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦

• Spammer Hammer
  • Support
  • Sniper Legends
    • Virtual Interactive Games Entertainment™
  • SMF Version: 2.0.13
  • SP Version: 2.3.6
  • Elkarte Version: 1.0.6
Re: Back to square one
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
Change host doesn't mean change your domain ;) I have been told that GoDaddy suck hard about hosting but they are awesome with domains, so you could move your stuff but still leave your registered domain there. How does it sound? :)
Have you tried SimplePortal Documentation before asking? ;)
F.A.Q.  English Support  |  Blocks Support
Fancy Feature idea ?!  |  Blocks Requests
Themes & Graphics

? My job! ?No PMs for support unless it's a paid request. Thank you! :)#OpIsis

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
I had been hosting my personal site on GoDaddy until a couple of years ago. I didn't have any problems with it but it was slow. I switched to a basic package from my friend at sm.org who is in this hosting business and have been very happy with it. I still have my domain with GoDaddy and it has been fine.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline Tonymura

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
I understand this that the domain names are mine. They will always will be mine. This is not the issue, i was referring to re-installing my files with another hosting.

Having some other site run my forum, wasn't the plan,  i wanted to bundle everything with one host.

Learning the ins and out of an new provider and setting everything back up,  i was hoping to avoid.

I signed up a fews years back thinking big was better at Godaddy and having flexibility to load any application i had this option.

To my dismay i have been told a few time my loading times are slow. You would think with such a huge hosting company this shouldn't have be the issue.
And I looked into the eyes of our beloved Saint Pope John Paul the II for a sign of his blessing to my new mod and quietly he utters the silent word beneath his breath…..”Go away noob”

Offline Tonymura

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
I had been hosting my personal site on GoDaddy until a couple of years ago. I didn't have any problems with it but it was slow. I switched to a basic package from my friend at sm.org who is in this hosting business and have been very happy with it. I still have my domain with GoDaddy and it has been fine.

Just wanted to give you all a brief update as i posted this topic with regards to my hosting not being able to provide the correct permission or ownership of my files.
To elaborate on this, i was incorrect, it appears my theme was at fault all along,  rather than the hosting causing me these issues.
My apologies for incorrectly informing you all.