Social > General Discussion

SMF 2.1, responsiveness, others

(1/2) > >>

ncoded:
Hoping this might be the right place to wonder... I have used SP for all of my CMS and portal needs and got familiar with some of its workings and the support behind the product, and I value them highly. I'd like to continue down this road.

In keeping up with the times, I got a test site running SMF 2.1 beta 2 for its forum component... and so far I'm sold! Apparently though the current SP is not to be installed on top of SMF beta2, which means my site is missing one of its essential components - the portal.

I did my fair share of searching, or so I suppose.

So at this point I am wondering how is SP positioned for the future? What am I to expect? Should I have more patience with SP before SMF pushes out at least an RC? Is there any WIP? Have I missed relevant posts in this regard?

Regards,

Eliana Tamerin:
At this point, it's pretty early days still for SMF 2.1. While in Alpha/Beta there tend to be lots of changes in the code that make it prohibitive to keep up and stop SP from breaking. I think Chen Zhen made a quick port for SMF 2.1 Alpha, but I can't tell you whether it will still work on Beta 2.

As far as the future, only time will tell. Most of our devs are busy in real life or with other projects, which means SP gets attention when they can. I don't think there's any plan to work on an SMF 2.1 version seriously until the Release Candidates come out.

If you're looking for something similar, however, Elkarte is a fork of SMF 2 with new features and one stable release already, and our new developer, Spuds, has joined us with his beta version of SimplePortal for Elkarte. Check it out if you're interested, but if you're set on SMF 2.1, you'll just have to be patient.

ccbtimewiz:

--- Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 29, 2015, 02:36:36 AM ---with his beta version of SimplePortal for Elkarte

--- End quote ---

The link seems to be broken.

ncoded:
Sayaka, I was able to navigate to the link and even though the page looks somewhat distorted I was able to download the zip.

Eliana, thanks for your kind reply. I am trying my best not to move away from SMF and so far the beta2 looks super to me! Like I said before, I can only hope that SP will follow with a portal for SMF when ready.

I looked at alternatives such as phpBB, XF and others, but none convincing enough to switch. ElkArte though looks quite promising, so I plan on running it on localhost next.

So for now I hope that between SMF, SP and ElkArte something beautiful will happen. Wait and see.

Best regards.

Eliana Tamerin:

--- Quote from: Sayaka Maizono on October 29, 2015, 05:40:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 29, 2015, 02:36:36 AM ---with his beta version of SimplePortal for Elkarte

--- End quote ---

The link seems to be broken.

--- End quote ---

Screenshot of what you see? Do you get an HTTP error response or an SP redirect?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version