collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 213
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: iFrame or something similar  (Read 9556 times)

Offline redcairo

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC1
  • SP Version: 2.2.1
iFrame or something similar
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:45:14 AM »
It is possible that what I want to do here is within the abilities of existing SP features. But I've spent all day doing stuff but am not sure about this one, so I'm asking.

I have some external website pages that I need to leave where they are. One example is a page with 123flashchat which is sitting on my .com server rather than my .info server where my forum is. I would really like to be able to pull the entire page (which includes head and body javascript and flash for the chat, plus some other flash elements) into SP in some fashion.

I can't do this with the various custom page SMF hacks because of the header-area javascript/flash issues, and because my chat is tied to the server it's sitting on (I can't put it on multiple servers and want to keep the address it's already at for search and existing links reasons).

Being able to pull in a whole page in an iframe (do these work for all browsers??) and better yet, being able to customize blocks to show/not show just for that frame, would be a huge increase in the 'integration' feature, not just with SMF but with existing websites, particularly those which for server reasons (I have CFML/SQL-S on one, LINUX/MySQL on the other) must be on separate domains.

I'm so delighted by SP that I really want to use it to pretty much deal with my whole website(s). Talk about a massive timesaver. But I still have a lot of issues of "SP/SMF over here, and other things over there." Much of my content is fully dynamic in CFML and even though the registration is separate, I would so love to be able to make pages to 'pull into' SP as part of that overall location, like a 'window' into our dynamic niche tools from our forum. They've always been separate but SP has given me the hope that this could change.

Do you think just putting iframe code in an SMF mod custom page would work? This might, though it doesn't give me the option to set which blocks show for just that one particular page. In this case, the things being 'pulled in' are major enough -- at least as significant as any individual board -- to need their own SP permissions.

Anyway, if any of the monsterbrains who develop this software have an interest in this I'd love to see it in the future.

Best,
PJ

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
Re: iFrame or something similar
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:24:58 AM »
iframe is supported by almost all the browsers and its the easiest way of embedding another HTML page into one.

You can also set a block so that it is only displayed for that particular page you created with an SMF custom pages mod, using Custom Display Options. I can help with setting that too if you like.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline redcairo

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC1
  • SP Version: 2.2.1
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
Thank you. This worked, it turns out.

This domain is still in development (compared to various project sites) so I have some time to muck about with it as it hasn't the traffic others do. Everything here will probably change, it's just the quick and the dirty to prep it, but it works great so I will probably apply this in other places. I wish SMF would go final in v2 already as I've been waiting on some stuff related to that.

My comserver is coldfusion driven, so my index page
http://www.dojopsi.com

sets a parameter called portal to default to 0 and uses IF. If someone arrives at the home domain there, they see some titles at the top, and a link to the forum at top right. Also the 'home' links are a bit different.

Code: [Select]
<cfparam name="portal" default="0">
<cfset portal = portal>
<cfif variables.portal is 0>
do stuff like add main title, forum link, etc.
</cfif>

If they arrive at the portal home which is my PhP driven infoserver, they see that same included page but without the titles, icon, and different 'home' links.  In my Simple Portal I created a block called 'welcome' which is Custom HTML, ignore permissions, show block on portal:

Code: [Select]
<iframe  style="border: 0px;"
src="http://www.dojopsi.com/index.cfm?portal=1"
name="door" height="2500" width="100%"
scrolling="no" id="door"></iframe>

I put this here just for the sake of forum archives. I spend a great deal of my time googling for IT help and always appreciate it when someone actually posts an answer that works rather than abandoning threads.

Thanks for your help, and thanks again for this awesome mod.

Best,
PJ

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:20:56 AM »
I'm glad you could get it solved.

I'd also like to remind you of the Donator Support board. You can get more quick responses using that board. :)
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...