collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 427
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Welcome to SimplePortal.net! You can download SimplePortal from the Downloads Area!

Author Topic: W3C and You.  (Read 7858 times)

Offline SteveFJ

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC2
  • SP Version: 2.3.1
W3C and You.
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
I've noticed that a lot of people use templates that fail to pass with W3C. Which is a pity because a lot of people work hard customising their site to look good.
http://www.w3.org/

Most browsers today are leaning more towards being W3C compliant, and that includes Internet Explorer.

A web site can be made to work quite well with coding errors, but what might not be realised is that where a coding error occurs, it causes the rest of the page to be misread, and that includes anything that might be called in  to the main body area. Depending on the nature of the coding error, while a coding error might not make itself known now it can do in the future due to updates from SMF, SP, and any other mods that might be in use.

What I would recommend is that before using any template or mod, first make sure it passes with W3C. The chances are high in the users favour of having no problems if they do. Problems can be difficult to determine their true cause when they fail.

When making modifications, first make a back up of the page being modified, then check with W3C to ensure the page still passes. If that is done throughout, then issues are much less likely to occur, though they can still happen.

I hope that is helpful to some.

Offline JBlaze

• Comrade
Re: W3C and You.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
This is actually a standard practice for me and any site I work on.

If I am installing a mod/theme on a site, I go through and make sure it is XHTML Strict and W3C Compliant as well.

Offline Succeded

• Semi Newbie
  • My time is Gold..
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
Good recommendation. Though most website or theme developers check if they pass with W3C.

Offline SteveFJ

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:58 AM »
Most might, I agree, and I think everyone involved with SP certainly does, but unfortunately it isn't true of everyone. In fact Simple Portal wasn't the first front page portal I looked at because I got to hear of another first, and that currently fails with W3C. I think it's mostly templates though.

Only the other day I checked a template with the style rules not only set in the divs, but in capital letters too, so I'm inclined to think that particular one was done by a designer that's been around for a while but who hasn't kept up with the times.

I might be wrong here, but I also suspect that there are some setting up shop and calling themselves Web site Designers when in fact they know very little, and who might never even heard of W3C.

Offline ccbtimewiz

• $("div.content:dd").hide();
  • SMF Version: None
  • SP Version: None
  • Elkarte Version: None
  • EhPortal Version: None
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline Costa

• Don't feed the trolls...
Hugo "Costa" FernandesCrudelius est quam semper mortem timere

Offline SteveFJ

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
I think we've already seen a counter argument set in place and operating as Internet Explorer. A browser that really didn't grasp the idea at all well. Not being compliant with W3C, it sent margins the wrong way, along with over 100 other "bugs". Just to set a margin, divs had to be placed inside divs causing additional layers, and perhaps go missing in some other browsers because of being too deep. Internet Explorer was a Web Designer's nightmare with workaround after workaround.
Internet Explorer 8 is more compliant with W3C and is much less of a nightmare.
Browsers are better understanding the same language when they conform to a standard to display things by. Of course they can only do that when the site designer conforms too, otherwise it can just be disorganised chaos.

I don't think there is any argument against really. It's a bit like saying this should be set in Russian for easier understanding of English.

Offline ccbtimewiz

• $("div.content:dd").hide();
  • SMF Version: None
  • SP Version: None
  • Elkarte Version: None
  • EhPortal Version: None
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »
Generally I'd agree with you on the standards, however not all software is compliant with the WC3.

It's unnecessary to become nitpicky or look down on people that have websites that aren't compliant. The only time that you should actually complain and/or report it to the webmaster is when the HTML code is so bad that the site layout is disconfigured to a point of being unable to navigate.

Offline SteveFJ

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
The point I'm trying to make in this topic is that when people conform their sites to W3C standards, they are much less likely to have issues either now or when they could become more obvious with upgrades and updates. I think it's something of particular benefit to people just starting out, so I'm not keen to complicate the issue.