Customization > Blocks and Modifications

Custom Portal Mod

(1/25) > >>

[SiNaN]:
This mod allows everyone using your portal (members and guests) to organize their blocks as they want with the nifty drag and drop effect, without any page loads. It uses db for users and a long long lasting cookie for guests. I'm sure most of you know about iGoogle, so this is iSimplePortal.

I just wanted to show that although I named this thing SimplePortal, it can actually be bloated easily. And such complex-in-theory features can be implemented with such few edits to few files when it has a solid base.

The mod works with both SMF 1.1 and 2.0 versions of SP 2.3.6.

You can download the mod here:

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=stable_customizations;file=145

Eliana Tamerin:
Good concept. Nice to know this can be done without much effort. Although it'd be especially nice to turn this into an admin interface as well.

The only think I'd request is a profile option to lock the portal config, so that those satisfied with their current layouts can prevent a stray mouseclick from changing them.

EDIT: Apparently the AJAX connections are constant, always open. CCB informed me of this. I've noticed the changes take a few seconds to take effect, not sure if these two are related.

[SiNaN]:
If I had another 20 minutes, I could implement that to block management page as well. ;)

Would you move this to the appropriate board?

I'm open to name suggestions for the mod by the way.

ccbtimewiz:
It doesn't like large sites with over 6000-something members online at the same time.

Any change you could make it a bit lighter, so it doesn't retain a constant connection to the database with queries prepared?

[SiNaN]:
I guess we can get rid of the AJAX request and handle it all with pure JavaScript. I'll post an update when I get some time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version