collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: Custom Portal Mod  (Read 107297 times)

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
Custom Portal Mod
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »
This mod allows everyone using your portal (members and guests) to organize their blocks as they want with the nifty drag and drop effect, without any page loads. It uses db for users and a long long lasting cookie for guests. I'm sure most of you know about iGoogle, so this is iSimplePortal.

I just wanted to show that although I named this thing SimplePortal, it can actually be bloated easily. And such complex-in-theory features can be implemented with such few edits to few files when it has a solid base.

The mod works with both SMF 1.1 and 2.0 versions of SP 2.3.6.

You can download the mod here:

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=stable_customizations;file=145
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:27:56 PM by [SiNaN] »
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC2
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
Re: Custom Portal Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
Good concept. Nice to know this can be done without much effort. Although it'd be especially nice to turn this into an admin interface as well.

The only think I'd request is a profile option to lock the portal config, so that those satisfied with their current layouts can prevent a stray mouseclick from changing them.

EDIT: Apparently the AJAX connections are constant, always open. CCB informed me of this. I've noticed the changes take a few seconds to take effect, not sure if these two are related.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:13:29 PM by Eliana Tamerin »
Ms. Eliana TamerinIt should be painfully obvious by now that I don't respond to support PMs. Don't send me PMs for support. They will be ignored and deleted, post on the Support Boards to get support.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
If I had another 20 minutes, I could implement that to block management page as well. ;)

Would you move this to the appropriate board?

I'm open to name suggestions for the mod by the way.

Offline ccbtimewiz

• $("div.content:dd").hide();
  • SMF Version: None
  • SP Version: None
  • Elkarte Version: None
  • EhPortal Version: None
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
It doesn't like large sites with over 6000-something members online at the same time.

Any change you could make it a bit lighter, so it doesn't retain a constant connection to the database with queries prepared?

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
I guess we can get rid of the AJAX request and handle it all with pure JavaScript. I'll post an update when I get some time.

Offline Mithotyn

• SMF Version: 2.0.2
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
Magic touches : )

Offline simply sibyl

• Semi Newbie
    • The Tent Dwellers
  • SMF Version: 2.0.1
  • SP Version: 2.3.4
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »
Hi SiNaN,

I downloaded and installed this on my test forum.  It worked fine with no issues  (its very cool)
But -  after updating Java on my computer I find its not liking Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.17 at all with IE 7.0   (Ive not tested yet with 8.0 - and its fine with Firefox and Opera)     Using 7.0 if you click on any board, topic, post, you'll immediately get a popup from IE stating "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site"   then "Operation Aborted" and you have no choice but to get booted off the page.    It happens to me now on your site and didnt before the Java update.    Even though it may well be some IE7.0 fluke its just something I thought you should know.

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
I have updated the package to get rid of the AJAX call and use regular JavaScript instead. It should be a lot faster now, as fast as regular SMF collapse feature.

But -  after updating Java on my computer I find its not liking Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.17 at all with IE 7.0   (Ive not tested yet with 8.0 - and its fine with Firefox and Opera)     Using 7.0 if you click on any board, topic, post, you'll immediately get a popup from IE stating "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet Site"   then "Operation Aborted" and you have no choice but to get booted off the page.    It happens to me now on your site and didnt before the Java update.    Even though it may well be some IE7.0 fluke its just something I thought you should know.

There is a similar SMF bug. It might be related to that, rather than this:

http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3304

Try uninstalling this package and see if the issue is still there. If yes, than it certainly has something to do with this package.

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
It seems much faster.

What about blocks without titles? Would it be possible to make (just on those blocks) the entire block click-and-dragable for moving purposes?

Name suggestion: iCustom mod for SimplePortal? Sounds too long, but it's a place to start.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:38:02 PM by Eliana Tamerin »
Ms. Eliana TamerinIt should be painfully obvious by now that I don't respond to support PMs. Don't send me PMs for support. They will be ignored and deleted, post on the Support Boards to get support.

Offline simply sibyl

• Semi Newbie
    • The Tent Dwellers
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I have updated the package to get rid of the AJAX call and use regular JavaScript instead. It should be a lot faster now, as fast as regular SMF collapse feature.

There is a similar SMF bug. It might be related to that, rather than this:

http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3304

Try uninstalling this package and see if the issue is still there. If yes, than it certainly has something to do with this package.

I'll check into that.     I uninstalled it..  the issue immediately went away.
Are you using the new pkg on your site?  It still does it to me there.

Offline Sordell Media

• Semi Newbie
    • Sordell Media
  • SP Version: 2.3.1
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Looks great, cant wait to implement it and stop my members bickering about how the portal should be arranged lol

This should be a standard option with simple portal IMO :P

Offline Blokey

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Caused me a problem today with IE7 would not let me view any page in my forum and kept telling me it couldnt open the page

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
What about blocks without titles? Would it be possible to make (just on those blocks) the entire block click-and-dragable for moving purposes?

You just don't move them. :P

I don't really want to add another tag just for that, but not sure.

I'll check into that.     I uninstalled it..  the issue immediately went away.
Are you using the new pkg on your site?  It still does it to me there.

Caused me a problem today with IE7 would not let me view any page in my forum and kept telling me it couldnt open the page

I have updated the package which fixes this issue.

Offline Blokey

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
Fantastic

I will go and play with it now
thanks

Offline simply sibyl

• Semi Newbie
    • The Tent Dwellers
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
That fixed it..   this mods really cool!  thanks!

Offline Farjo

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2 RC4
  • SP Version: 2.3.3
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
Hi, I am getting the same problem as Blokey using IE7, however I have installed the latest version (the link from the original post) and it is still causing the error:

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site hxxp://domain.tld/index.php/topic,107.0.html.
Operation aborted

Indeed I note that I first downloaded this file on 5th Dec, so I always had the latest version.

I am certain it is this mod as when I uninstall it the problem goes away, then when I install it again it is back.

I hope that this problem can be fixed as it is really very cool and solved the "can't this / that block go over here / there" squabbling and am gutted I'll have to leave it uninstalled :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:31:05 PM by Farjo »

Offline royalduke

• Semi Newbie
    • Dukedom :: Multi-Universe Forum
  • SMF Version: 2 RC1
  • SP Version: 2.3
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Can some one make this work with Simple Portal 2.3 and SMF 2.0 RC 1. I really need something like this.

Thank You!

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
Can some one make this work with Simple Portal 2.3 and SMF 2.0 RC 1. I really need something like this.

Thank You!

No, rather we're going to recommend that you upgrade. There are several security vulnerabilities in RC1 that have been fixed in RC2 (remember, there were two patch versions, RC1-1 and RC1.2 between them), and there have been several bugs fixed from SP 2.3 to 2.3.1.

If you don't wish to upgrade, that's your choice, but no mod is going to be made backwards compatible for RC1 at this point. Sorry.

Offline royalduke

• Semi Newbie
    • Dukedom :: Multi-Universe Forum
  • SMF Version: 2 RC1
  • SP Version: 2.3
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »

Thank You!

No, rather we're going to recommend that you upgrade. There are several security vulnerabilities in RC1 that have been fixed in RC2 (remember, there were two patch versions, RC1-1 and RC1.2 between them), and there have been several bugs fixed from SP 2.3 to 2.3.1.

If you don't wish to upgrade, that's your choice, but no mod is going to be made backwards compatible for RC1 at this point. Sorry.

Not even for me <3 :P upgrading is not an option. We can't convert database to RC 2.

My forum: xadro.net

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
If you're having problems upgrading, I'd advise you to request support over at simplemachines.org.