collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 457
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: Need Info On Where To Edit template  (Read 7299 times)

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
  • SMF Version: 2 RC4
  • SP Version: 2.3.3
Need Info On Where To Edit template
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
Hey there cool peeps,

I am running RC3 with Simple Portal 2.3.2 and everything looks fine in Firefox and Safari when looking at the HOME page/tab for the portal.  I used the Sudden Curve theme by just replacing its files into the default theme folder.  Something I've done in the previous RC versions and Simple Portal has always worked fine.

My problem is that when the HOME page is being viewed in IE8, the right side is not readable. 

Under General Settings
My portal mode is: Front Page
Disable Portal Redirection is: Checked
Disable Side Collapsing is: Checked

Under Block Settings
Enable Left Side Blocks: Checked
Enable Right Side Blocks: Checked
Width set for both at 22%

Attached pics of firefox view and IE view with the site on a 1920x1080 resolution and 22" monitor, so I know it has MORE than enough space to show correctly and is not being minimized/condensed.  I have no errors showing up in my error log.  Like I said, previous versions have all seemed to work w/o flaw.

www.neighborhoodq.com
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:12:10 PM by tk2012 »

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
Re: Need Info On Where To Edit template
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
I might be able to fix this myself.  I just need to know what template to work on the fix though.  This is the only page that is like this.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
This problem does not occur with the CURVE theme, so I would categorize this as a custom theme problem.

I am not familiar with your theme, so I am guessing. The first place I would check is the CSS differences between CURVE and Sudden Curve. Something that causes a similar problem for IE7.

It might be useful for you to install the CURVE theme and use IE8's "developer's tools" to compare the HTML, styles, and layout of the portal page using index.php?theme=1 and ?theme={whatever ID CURVE has}.

It may take you a while to trace this through.  The theme's author and knowledgeable users *might* have some insights into the differences between this theme and CURVE that might contribute to the problem, so it might be worth asking at the mod's support thread.

Good luck!

Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the direction to go.  I didn't have the problem with the same theme on RC2 at all.  I think Crip made the theme, so I'll see if he/she has any ideas.  Once again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
I can't see the cause of the problem, just looking at it with IE8 developer tools.  I must be missing something.

The tool did help me see an unrelated error on the page, though.
Code: (You have) [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://www.neighborhoodq.com/mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#username=neighborhoodq</script>

Code: (Should Be) [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://www.neighborhoodq.com/mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#username=neighborhoodq></script>

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
I will try to see what happens with that.  I compared the two css files that the theme replaces on the Curve theme and the changes were primarily colors and nothing else, so don't think it is the css.

Let me see if something happens with that fix you propose cause I didn't use the Tapatalk or Add This mod on the RC2 version, but do now on RC3.

Update:
I decided to uninstall those two mods, but the error still persists.  I'm going to compare the list of mods I had installed on RC2 and the ones I now have on RC3 to see if one of the newer mods I'm using may be the culprit.  It's only ten mods that I didn't have installed previously, so it won't take too long to figure out.  Here's hoping that this may help me since along with the list, I have a spreadsheet showing all the edits made to SMF, so that may help track down what it is, too.  Well, that was a good idea, I suppose, but obviously wasn't any of those ten mods.

I'll look at this more tonight.

Thanks for your help though AB
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:17:28 PM by tk2012 »

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
Ok, I looked at the bottom of the IE window and saw that it did say  "Done, but with errors on page."

Clicked on it and got this message:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Timestamp: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:30:56 UTC

Line: 35
Char: 16
Code: 0
URI: http://www.neighborhoodq.com/index.php

Also, sorry to sound so freakin stupid, but in your previous post, where would I go to try to make that fix?

BTW, when you look at the page in IE8 on your computer, does it appear condensed like in my picture?

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Yes, I see in IE8 just what you see in IE8.
As to where to make that change to the HTML -- you'd have to know what writes that HTML. I thought it might have been a manual customization to index.template.php. That's where I'd look for the code, I think.

It might have been caused by a mod (don't know which one), or it might have come with the theme.  I'd start looking in index.template.php, and also check to make sure it didn't come as part of the theme.

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:43 PM »
Well, the script error is being pulled from the AddThis Mod, but it didn't do anything to the html.
I saw where you were using the Developers Tool and when I uninstalled the Mod, the error stopped being pulled.  Thanks for that.

Now, to find and fix the real big problem!  LOL

Thanks for your help.

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:21:37 PM »
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'm making progress or not, but after uninstalling that Mod, I finally have an error showing in my error log!  This might be a good thing

I've attached the error and the code.  I didn't have any errors until I uninstalled the two mods.  It is showing in the Subs.php file

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
It looks like something is now wrong in parse_bbc.

Did you install a mod (like that AddThisMod?) before the upgrade to 2.0RC3, then uninstall afterwards? 

Some mods (like SimplePortal) actually will add a certain 2.0RC3 feature to earlier versions of SMF if they are installed to a pre-2.0RC3 version of SMF.  Then, if you do uninstall, they will try to take that feature out again...

Before you did the upgrade to 2.0RC3, did you uninstall all mods?

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Did you install a mod (like that AddThisMod?) before the upgrade to 2.0RC3, then uninstall afterwards?  I did not install AddThis until after I upgraded to RC3

Some mods (like SimplePortal) actually will add a certain 2.0RC3 feature to earlier versions of SMF if they are installed to a pre-2.0RC3 version of SMF.  Then, if you do uninstall, they will try to take that feature out again...

Before you did the upgrade to 2.0RC3, did you uninstall all mods?  In going from RC2 to RC3, I replaced all of the files from RC2 with that of the large RC3 package and then upgraded.  I did not uninstall the mods because I thought that by having fresh files on the server all the files would be over-written.  Then, I installed my mods again.  This is how I've been doing it for 2.0 and haven't had any problems.

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »
I fixed the error in the log by deleting the // after comparing what I have and what the RC3 version shows and the error is no longer being pulled.

Code: [Select]
foreach ($codes as $code)
{
// If we are not doing every tag only do ones we are interested in.
// if (empty($parse_tags) || in_array($code['tag'], $parse_tags))
$bbc_codes[substr($code['tag'], 0, 1)][] = $code;
}
$codes = null;
}

changed to
Code: [Select]
foreach ($codes as $code)
{
// If we are not doing every tag only do ones we are interested in.
if (empty($parse_tags) || in_array($code['tag'], $parse_tags))
$bbc_codes[substr($code['tag'], 0, 1)][] = $code;
}
$codes = null;
}

But, still looks like the main problem persists!  LOL

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
The only thing that I can think of doing is creating another forum on my site and installing Simple Portal on it, just to make sure it isn't the theme.  If that works fine, then it shouldn;t be the theme.  Like I said, it worked fine previously on RC2.

Then, more than likely it has to be a mod that I have installed here.  I'll just go back to my current version and overwrite all my files with fresh ones and add SP first and then check it in IE as I install each mod again.

If it isn't pulling and errors and nothing is showing up now on the developer's tools... I really don't know what else to do.  At least I'll have an answer either way.

Thanks for your help AngelinaBelle

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »
Something is wrong with Subs.php.

It seems like this problem popped up when you uninstalled the two mods. Addthis and what?

You may now need to uninstall all mods, get a fresh copy of Subs.php, and reinstall all but the troublesome mods.

I'm not sure which uninstall caused the parse_tags problem in Subs.php.

The AddThis problem (bad <script> tag) is something you should take up with that mod's author.

I doubt fixing that tag is going to solve your CSS problem, though.  I don't have the answer to it, but there is still a chance that the theme's author or another theme expert at simplemachines.org would be able to figure out why you have this problem with your custom theme and not with Curve.

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
Uploaded fresh files and even used another theme this time Dark Curve which is similar to the other one by Crip.  I get the same thing even with no mods installed, so I'm guessing it is the theme.  Oh well.  I am just going to disable the right side blocks for now and use the theme that I have uploaded.

I have other things that need my attention, so I'll get back to this later.  If I find out what the cause is, I'll be sure to post it though.

Thanks again for the help.  I'm going to mark it as solved for now, just so it doesn't tie up anyone else from getting help.

Thank ya!

TK

Offline tk2012

• Channel 4 Gaming
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
OMG, I just had the strangest idea and it freaking worked!!!!!

I changed it back to allow the Right Side Blocks.
Then, I changed both the left and right WIDTHS from 23% to actual px like so:
Left = 300px
Right = 200px

I checked it in IE and THE COLUMN APPEARS NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

So, I guess I'll be using actual PX instead of %

OMG, I don't know what possessed me to try one more thing.  Obviously though the theme didn't like the %, but likes px when these two are used together!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... to whomever made me think of this for no reason at all!  LOL
Just goes to show you you have to keep at it sometimes!

OK, Now this really IS solved!!!!

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
Congratulations, and good luck working through the rest of your list as you get your site ready to go.

That's a good tip.  I have read of IE7 and IE8 having other problems when % widths are used instead of px widths.