collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 432
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Blocks speak! Do you have an interest in getting more blocks - or even making your own? The Blocks Board is for you!

Author Topic: Add font color button to shoutbox and enable actual smileys in text bar  (Read 5897 times)

Offline sharks

• Beta Tester
  • SP Version: 2.3.4
Hello dear SimplePortal lovers and devevelopers!

I have a suggestion to make to improve the shoutbox in SimplePortal 2.3.3 so that it would work in SMF 1.1.12 as well as SMF 2.0 RC4.

Could you please add a button to change the font color of text in the shoutbox and also make the actual clicked smileys appear inside the shoutbox as images, instead of just the text character representations.

Will the smiley suggestion above cause the forum to be slower or use more server resources via increased usage of JavaScript? If yes, then definitely add the option to disable that feature for those who are on shared servers.

Also, i would like to report some bugs in the shoutbox's layout, where the text bar is fixed in length and hence does not fill the entire width of the screen, if the shoutbox is set as top block, especially noticeable for widescreen users. The shoutbox's text bar is fixed in length and also the "shout" button is so far away on the right, but it should be situated on the immediate right of the shoutbox's text bar instead of being aligned on the right-most corner of the shoutbox. My screen is LCD wide-screen 22" so the small "shout" button is so far on the right. It is almost not noticed. The shout button is essential as sometimes when you press enter button on the keyboard, the message is lost, so you must press the shout button for the message to appear in the shoutbox.

And i installed SP 2.3.3 on a fresh SMF 1.1.12 with default theme and shoutbox block set to display inside forum only: When i click on the shoutbox smiley found within the shoutbox, i select an emoticon from the list and when i press the Shout button, i get this in the shoutbox:
forum.com/Smileys/default/kiss.gif" alt="Kiss" border="0" />
There are no emoticons displayed but only error codes like above for all emoticons that i tried to display via the shoutbox. However, i tried this on my live forum and it worked, so it's really a random error that happens for whatever unknown reason.

I highly believe that implementing the suggestions/fixes will make the shoutbox better, more intuitive and even more useful.

And i would like to ask, what does the setting Cache do in the shoutbox? It appears to be enabled by default. What is its importance? Won't it make my server/forum slow with time? Need the Cache be flushed regularly and how to do that? You should add a "?" next to it with a pop-up info window to explain users like me who might not know what that settings does or not.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:21:49 AM by sharks »

Offline sharks

• Beta Tester
  • SP Version: 2.3.4
Re: Add font color button to shoutbox and enable actual smileys in text bar
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
I also have another great idea for the shoutbox. Please add the option to enable text to appear by default in the shoutbox's text bar, such that when clicked to start typing, that default text disappears.

For example, the default text in the shoutbox could be set to italic and pale grey, and the text itself should be customizable, like: "Welcome to our Shoutbox! Please type in here and press the "Shout" button to enter the chat".

Then, when a member clicks on the text area within the text bar to type, that default text will automatically clear up and the user can then use the shoutbox normally.