collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 514
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Installation errors? Mod incompatibilities? Upgrade problems? Make your way over to the Install and Upgrade Support board for all your solutions!

Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 8172 times)

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
  • Developer @ www.mmogamer.co.uk - Gaming Forums
  • SMF Version: 2 RC5
  • SP Version: None
Not impressed
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
Modification Problem

I prefer SMF over all other forum applications. I feel that it is well created and there are alot of Nice themes aswell.

I have some slight problems with my fourm :(

I am using a Theme called "Inferno" and SMF 2.0 RC5.

I have alot of bots signing up on my forums and posting alot of stuff, which is very irritating. I have setup captche codes and Anti-Spam, it seems like thye get through it very easy. I get told alot to install Mods. Mods never work! I can never install them on the theme i want! Even on the default smf. I always get errors.

Is there currently no simple modifcation program which automatically changes the script to be compatible with the current them i have? Or anyways i can overcome this problem?

Also, if you know of any ways hwo to reduce spam/bots please let me know!

Also, i just came to this site for help. I have installed this simple portal and uploaded it to my pakcage file click "install" and

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF appears.

What is so hard with this SMF seriously???? I cant install any Mod, even if i lookup for hours and hours.

Would appreciate the help! Thank you!

www.mmogamer.co.uk - Multi Gaming Forums. Talk and Dicuss with other games world wide, we support all genres of games.

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
  • SP Version: 2.3.3
Re: Not impressed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
SMF is one of the more stable forums out there.  I switched from another package several years ago and haven't looked back.  But...  it takes some effort to learn the software and how it all works together.  SMF is written by a group of volunteers.  If this won't do, you may need to look at vBulletin and just cough up the dollars.

Nothing is going to stop spam bots.  You can make it harder for them to get into your site.  Read this thread at the SMF site:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=422954.msg2960640#msg2960640.  Its not a perfect way to get them, but it will help.

I've had similar problems with installing SimplePortal with SMF.  I've been fortunate to have a programmer assist me in getting it installed.  One of the volunteers here will help you as well.

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
Thanks for replying.

Hopefully someone will volunteer to help :) I would appreciate it alot. It seems that if i want to protect my forum even more i need to install modifcations, but SMF wont let me due to all of the errors.

www.mmogamer.co.uk - Multi Gaming Forums. Talk and Dicuss with other games world wide, we support all genres of games.

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "all the errors".  There shouldn't be any errors in a clean SMF install.  I have 22 mods installed and it works darn well.  Good luck.

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
I have a Theme installed which the Mods do not like. That's why i think. I would reinstall SMF and use the default theme but i do not like the default theme and its to plain :/

I am using the newest verison of SMF.

May i have a link to your forum? :)

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
Would liek to see how yours is layed out etc. :)

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
Link is in my signature.  Click on the pic.

I run the default theme.  I am not a fan of it either, so I offer alternatives.  What may be nice to your eyes may appeal to someone else.  Keep that in mind.  It might also be a good practice to keep the default theme intact, as mods expect to see the default theme in place.  Offer up alternatives like I have and let the user pick.  I use:

Curvy Caramel
LightModern
Royal Curve
DarkModern
Core Theme (2.0)
Curve Solution
RGBB Curve
The PlayRoom Ultimate - my personal theme, but the author appears to have abandoned it

Here is PlayRoom with the blue color:

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
All Mods should automatically work with this theme right?

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
Seems like it doesnt, i still get an error while sing the Curve theme :(

Offline Old Fossil

• Beta Tester
  • SMF Version: 2.0.4
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
@STARS

I would suggest you ask at sm.org for support on anything which isn't portal related.

Also please refrain from linking to posts from the shoutbox.

@Booch I would suggest you go to www.pixelmansion.com

The folks there will be able to help with the theme you use.
Daily backups mean less headaches

Block Set Up

I may be no coding expert but I am willing to help where I can.

I eat Spammers for breakfast

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
S.T.A.R.S, your problems seems to be related to SMF rather than SimplePortal itself. I would suggest seeking support at simplemachines.org for those issues. I'll be marking this topic as solved.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »
@Booch I would suggest...
Appreciate the help, but I wasn't the one seeking it.  SimplePortal works fine for me.   :D

Offline Old Fossil

• Beta Tester
  • SMF Version: 2.0.4
  • SP Version: 2.3.5
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
@Booch I would suggest...
Appreciate the help, but I wasn't the one seeking it.  SimplePortal works fine for me.   :D

No worries bud.

I was talking about images in general.
Daily backups mean less headaches

Block Set Up

I may be no coding expert but I am willing to help where I can.

I eat Spammers for breakfast

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
Alo your new forum setup on your homepage has changed i noticed.

All of this has been done by Simple portal? Does it take alot of effort into installing a homepage like yours on a forum?

Offline booch_21

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
I'm assuming that you are asking me.  The page change you see IS SimplePortal.  I upgraded from SMF 2.0 RC5 to SMF 2.0 Gold.  When I upgraded, I had issues installing SimplePortal.  When I referred you to my page, you went right to the standard SMF forum page.  Now that SimplePortal is working, what you see is what SimplePortal can give you and fairly simply, once you learn what the software does and how to use it. 

It sounds like you still need some help from SMF directly since you have issues with all mods.  Once that is straightened out, you can also install SimplePortal and have a home page like the rest of us have!

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
Great!

I am considering in buying a new web server and a new domain name, so i will be starting fresh soon.

Once simple portal is installed. Is it a simple interface to layout the homepage like yours? or is alot of coding involved?

Thanks for your help!

Offline FGC Fusion

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
Stars i understand the probs you are having as installing mods for what sometimes should be there anyway is a pain

Great!

I am considering in buying a new web server and a new domain name, so i will be starting fresh soon.

Once simple portal is installed. Is it a simple interface to layout the homepage like yours? or is alot of coding involved?

Thanks for your help!

You may not need to do that......

Some mods need manual edits to the files for them to work,this can be a pain but if you check the "parse" details on the mod download page it will explain it for you

I have used that theme in the past and moved on from it....always make sure you use a theme compatible with your SMF release, I have had  the most success with themes based on the curve theme and havent changed the base theme to much

May i suggest that you reinstall the smf forum software and start again
If you have lots of post and you don't want to lose them , i had this answered for me here.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=419301.msg2931646#msg2931646

You can delete all the files in forum root and just keep the ones that hold the posts etc that way its totally fresh to restart

As for Simple Portal its not a bad piece of kit,have sometimes  considered using other portals but have got used to it now and does work somewhat

The main prob i had at first (was totally new to SMF and still learning)was getting it to direct to a stand alone homepage but had this answered for me here ....so that SMF worked like a normal site with a homepage with blocks etc

But at the end of the day a forum is a forum with or without a portal

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=4038.msg25415#msg25415

I have SP on a couple of forums and use SP on one to redirect the users back to the main wordpress homepage.....i know i could edit the themes to this and add a button but in this case SP a "mod" works

As for support here you may struggle as there can be better answers offered on the main SMF forum unlike some of the "closed" replys here directing you elsewhere usually back to SMF.....which i often find disspointing

There are far more answers for your question

For a start you are having the errors because the mods don't like the theme (manual edit required) or is conflicting with another mod which could be why you are having the probs installing SP.
As they change certain files to make the mod work then when the next mod trys to edit that file the line they are looking for isnt there ......does that make sense

These are the sites that i use SP on

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:58:26 PM by FGC Fusion »

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
Can you please supply me with the link to the most recent version of SMF? Or the one which is the best to download.

cheers

Offline TattooMasters

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
I recently installed 2.0 http://download.simplemachines.org/

According to the bots; did you try the question option?

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
Yep, it works :)

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
also, may i have a link to your site? I want to see it :)

Offline TattooMasters

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
Plus i am going to reinstall everything.

I follow these steps right?

- Install SMF.

- use default core theme? Then install mods. And i shouldnt have a problem right?

Offline [SiNaN]

• Mr. SimplePortal
  • Developer
  • SMF Version: 2.0.15
  • SP Version: 2.3.7
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:15 AM »
If you have a fresh SMF forum on a properly configured web server, you shouldn't have any problems installing mods. You don't need to be using the default theme.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
Everytime i install SMF, and i install a mod. An error always appears.

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Offline TattooMasters

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »
It's not always bad.

I once tried to install anyway and it worked fine. But it's better to skip those mods and search for a version that is compatible. There are enough to find :)

What kind of mods give that error?

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie

Offline S.T.A.R.S

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
also what is the difference between SMF 2.0 and SMF 2.0 RC5????

Offline agent47

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
also what is the difference between SMF 2.0 and SMF 2.0 RC5????
Just security and bug fixes. Don't expect for new features between the two versions coz there's none.