collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 727
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

NEED HELP? If you're looking for support with Simple Portal, look no further than the Support Board!

Author Topic: Question about simple portal  (Read 3520 times)

Offline stang7043

Question about simple portal
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:38:34 PM »
Hi everyone ... I need some advice / help / direction.

Right now the site I manage / belong to (m-g-club.com) is running SMF 1.1.13 and TP v1.0 Beta 3. Both products are great. My problem / concern is TP has gone away and for the most part closed its doors. So this has kinda concerned me in regards to support and updates for security reasons. So after talking it over with the other admins of the site we are going to move on to simple portal (great product btw) since it seems like it is the easiest to use and one of the popular ones. So I stood up a  test site with the newest v of Simple Portal 2.3.3 and SMF 2.0 RC5. Which in my preliminary test seem to run great together. My problem is our site is 673 members strong with a custom theme / member groups/ permissions /  forum layout etc etc etc ... Im sure you get my point. My question is is there anyway to import the member list / groups / forum / theme etc etc etc ... or do I have to basically rebuild it to mirror the live site ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
Re: Question about simple portal
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
The simplest answer is -- uninstall TinyPortal, install SimplePortal, and you are done. No need to set up a new SMF forum, or fiddle with any of the SMF permissions (except those which are directly related to the portal) or membergroups.
You MIGHT need to fiddle with your theme, depending on the theme type and how much custom TP stuff you have done to it.
My advice would be to set up a test forum that is a copy of your production forum. Install SimplePortal. Spend some time figuring out any custom theme issues. Many of the custom HTML and PHP blocks you used under TP will work perfectly under SimplePortal. Others might neeed a little tweaking (if they depended on anything particular to TinyPortal). If you have any TinyPortal articles -- you'll have to figure out a good way to handle them. Perhaps you could recreate them as posts, so you can use them in the SimplePortal article system. Or else you could recreate them as SimplePortal BBC pages -- depending on how you wanted to use them. Using an exact copy of your forum will help you to understand all the steps you'll have to take to convert your portal.
But you will not have to set up a new production forum.
Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

Offline stang7043

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
Sounds easy enough. That would make my life a lot easier. I already have a test site setup for testing mods and updates before we go live with them. But Ill backup the live DB and import it over the test site so we have an exact copy and do what you suggested. I appreciate the help. Ill let you know how everything went.  Thanks  :)

Ok so Im curious how much work would it be to stand up a new smf forum / simple portal site and (not sure if this is the right terminology) import the member groups / list / threads from the live site now to the new site running the latest smf and simple portal ? Sorry curiosity got the best of me. Had to ask.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:08:54 AM by stang7043 »

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
Well, since you already know how much work it is to install SMF from scratch, install a mod, and import a database, I think you probably know how much work it would be. Setting up a completely fresh website is pretty much like setting up your test forum, right?

Offline stang7043

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
Correct but maybe I wasnt completely clear ... Standing up a new install and transferring permissions / member groups / and forum threads from the current live site to the test site instead of uninstalling TP and installing SP on the live site. I wont be doing this since uninstalling TP and installing SP is pretty much a couple of clicks here and there and maybe a tweak or two. Just curious of how labor intensive transferring the live site running SMF / TP to SMF / SP would be without just simply uninstalling and reinstalling.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
I'm sorry.  You were asking about converting portal-related permissions?
SimplePortal does not come with any "portal conversion" tools. Of course, all your SMF groups will remain the same. But, after uninstalling TP, and installing SimplePortal, you would need to set up SimplePortal's permissions from scratch.  I'm pretty sure you will find that the permission settings are not exactly the same. The two portals have some different features.  So I'm going to suggest that the time required will be about the same amount of time it took to set up permissions for TP in the first place.  Probably less, since you now have a better idea of what you want.  And you can work from screenshots of your TP settings, to help you remember everything.
And then, of course, there are all your custom BBC, HTML, and PHP blocks, and your TP articles. If you don't have a whole lot of them, the most straightforward way to handle them would be to copy the source (BBC, HTML, or PHP) into text files, then copy that into new blocks and, topics (and set as article), and/or pages in SimplePortal.