collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 287
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Installation errors? Mod incompatibilities? Upgrade problems? Make your way over to the Install and Upgrade Support board for all your solutions!

Author Topic: No Shoutbox Possible After Upgrade To SP 2.3.4  (Read 5282 times)

Offline newtoallthis

• SMF Version: 2 RC5
  • SP Version: 2.3.3
No Shoutbox Possible After Upgrade To SP 2.3.4
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
Have just upgraded to SP 2.3.4 on my test forum. I chose the option to retain data in the hope that my custom boxes would show after the reinstall....which most did.

The only missing item was the shoutbox, so I created a new one and tried to add it to site using the Add Block panel. The new shoutbox cannot be 'seen' in Add Block. I'm getting the message that a shoutbox hasn't been created.

It may be relevant that I previously edited my SMF default profile to display a shoutbox with a textarea input rather that a single text inut line.

That edit is referred to in the following thread http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=8544.0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:00:54 PM by newtoallthis »
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline newtoallthis

Re: No Shoutbox Possible After Upgrade To SP 2.3.4
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
Not sure whether it's relevant to the missing shoutbox, but there are other custom blocks missing (moral, check carefully before jumping in with both feet!).

They are, 'Recent Posts', 'Calendar', 'User' & 'Who's Online'.

I've not tried to recreate these, yet, it's the fact that the shoutbox cannot be created that bothers me.
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline newtoallthis

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:45:01 PM »
Sorry for wittering on, but I'm adding information as I am finding it.

In the Blocks List, all 'missing' blocks are listed and shown as active, but are not visible in the forum.

Have tried uninstalling 2.3.4 (inc. remove data) and reinstalling. No joy. Some blocks will install 'randomly' on the front page but aren't visible in the forum.
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline slop_chute

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
Did you double check your permissions for each block. They might be getting reset for your blocks if your using the preview.  Just a thought.. :) Since you indicate some of the blocks are active and not viewable.

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?issue=451.0

Offline newtoallthis

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »
Thanks for getting back. I think I've solved the problem but I can't tell you why it seemed to work.

I decided to uninstall the 2.3.4 version and start again. However, after re-installation, various artefacts of the 2.3.3 installation were still showing in the blocks list although they couldn't be activated (inc. my shoutbox).

So, I deleted all custom blocks that I'd created, uninstalled SP 2.3.4, deleted the 2.3.4 package, emptied the cache and reinstalled SP 2.3.4.

This time, SP is behaving as it should. It will let me create a shoutbox and then to enable it in a new block. I just then have to edit PortalShoutbox.template.php in my default theme to exchange the text input for a textarea (just my preference), and all is well.

Sadly, to upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 will mean remaking the 17 blocks I have enabled on my main forum (and making sure that I opt for 'everywhere' and 'members' on each occasion).

I'm guessing that the Holy Grail for [SiNaN] would be to be able to create a Firefox style Profile for use with SP in order to make upgrading seemless whilst avoiding the hassle normally encountered on each major upgrade. Not being too critical, though, because from what I've seen so far, SP is the best option out there for adding functionality to SMF.
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline slop_chute

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »
Not sure what your talking about with firefox. I use that browser and have done hundreds of installs  with SMF and SP with no issues like your describing. I would suspect you your forum has a hitch somewhere with mods or a path issue. Possibly not taking note of the errors in the package manager.  You did mention that you edited files, but I don't know what that is about and you probably should of removed your edit before upgrading (normalize the 2.3.3 installation).   Anyway That is beside the point .. You got it fixed.  ;D

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC2
  • SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Unfortunately, situations like yours are not always as simple as they seem. Sometimes the script (SP) can be behaving correctly while the server does not, which can corrupt databases, prevent their removal or complication installations like yours. Web hosting is, and likely will always be, a hodgepodge of mix/matched technologies that, when balanced properly, will deliver a flawless environment but can be knocked out of whack with the slightest tap.

Regardless of the cause, it sounds to me like this is resolved for the most part? If this is the case, just click the [Topic Solved] button on the bottom of this page or let me know and I will do it. If not, is there anything else that needs resolving?
Ms. Eliana TamerinIt should be painfully obvious by now that I don't respond to support PMs. Don't send me PMs for support. They will be ignored and deleted, post on the Support Boards to get support.

Offline newtoallthis

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Not sure what your talking about with firefox. I use that browser and have done hundreds of installs  with SMF and SP with no issues like your describing. I would suspect you your forum has a hitch somewhere with mods or a path issue. Possibly not taking note of the errors in the package manager.  You did mention that you edited files, but I don't know what that is about and you probably should of removed your edit before upgrading (normalize the 2.3.3 installation).   Anyway That is beside the point .. You got it fixed.  ;D

No problem with Firefox.

What I was alluding to is the desirability for software to upgrade with as little fuss as possible.

Firefox is great because even when carrying out a major upgrade, user settings, extensions, plugins etc. are not overwritten in the process. They are retained in your user 'profile'. This obviates the need to get FF back how you like it after an upgrade. Essentially, its appearance and pre-upgrade functionality has not been lost.

Sadly (and I understand that SP and SMF developers don't have the resources of the Mozilla Corp!), almost every upgrade results in the need to reinstall mods and recreate blocks.
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline newtoallthis

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
Unfortunately, situations like yours are not always as simple as they seem. Sometimes the script (SP) can be behaving correctly while the server does not, which can corrupt databases, prevent their removal or complication installations like yours. Web hosting is, and likely will always be, a hodgepodge of mix/matched technologies that, when balanced properly, will deliver a flawless environment but can be knocked out of whack with the slightest tap.

Regardless of the cause, it sounds to me like this is resolved for the most part? If this is the case, just click the [Topic Solved] button on the bottom of this page or let me know and I will do it. If not, is there anything else that needs resolving?

I will wait until after reinstalling all blocks before classing this as resolved.

A question. Should uninstalling SP 2.3.3 then installing 2.3.4  have removed all custom blocks from my forum? Should it be necessary to delete non-default blocks prior to upgrade?
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline Eliana Tamerin

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC2
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
If you're running SMF 2.0? Then no, it shouldn't. There should be a check mark when uninstalling mods, if you do not check it, then your database information (blocks and so forth) should not be lost. This should be unchecked by default.
Ms. Eliana TamerinIt should be painfully obvious by now that I don't respond to support PMs. Don't send me PMs for support. They will be ignored and deleted, post on the Support Boards to get support.

Offline newtoallthis

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
As I wrote earlier in this thread, I have previously edited PortalShoutbox.template.php using SMF's 'Modify Themes' to force my shoutbox to display a textarea as opposed to single line text input box.

That edit is referred to in the following thread http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=8544.0 .

Would it be wise to revert this to the default PortalShoutbox.template.php code prior to upgrade?
SMF 2.0 Gold
SP 2.3.3

Offline simondale

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 2.0.1
  • SP Version: 2.3.4
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
I seem to be having the same problem with a fresh upgrade from SMF v1.11.11 to v2.0.2 and Simple Portal v2.3.4.  I can't get the Shoutbox to appear at all.

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
When you upgrade SimplePortal, you will get all new shoutbox templates, so your changes will be lost.
You can try them again afterwards.
Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?