collapse

* Simple Portal Archived Forum

This is an Archive Forum.

The content in this forum may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links in forum pages to other sites may not work.
This forum contains archives for future reference.

Visit our thread at Simple Machines Forum for current support.

SMF 2.1 users: EhPortal is a ported version of Simple Portal specifically designed for the SMF 2.1 branch.
Please visit web-develop.ca to download EhPortal and for its support.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Shoutbox is not for support!
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: Yup, Still adore SP
    April 21, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: STILL love SP :)
    November 24, 2018, 05:05:50 AM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: <3 aegersz
    September 13, 2018, 03:36:09 PM
  • aegersz: I STILL <3 LOVE SimplePortal
    September 13, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
  • aegersz: o LOVE you guys - Simple Portal rocks !
    May 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM
  • Chen Zhen: our apologies for the site being down.. please read server issues topic
    March 22, 2018, 05:32:38 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: LOL PLEASE forget I just posted that. I found the answer in my own dang post back in 2015. lol sorry!
    July 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: I know this SB isnt' for support, but I just have a general question. Who would I contact to find out where SP stores its block info? Is it DB driven or files? I searched the site but came up with nothing. probably my fault any insight is appreciated.
    July 04, 2017, 10:43:36 PM
  • ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Excuse me but what does Simpleportal have to deal with that?
    February 05, 2017, 08:21:14 PM
  • WhiteEagle: of course IMHO that site appears to be dead :(
    February 04, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
  • WhiteEagle: If I can get that, then I'll use it for that site...
    February 04, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
  • WhiteEagle: decided to not use SMF for any projects, unless I can get a copy of the premium version of the fanfiction archive plugin
    February 04, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
  • expertdecisions: cloudflare
    January 28, 2017, 08:01:47 AM
  • aegersz: SM release 2.0.13 !
    January 12, 2017, 06:00:13 AM
  • raffo: Tks Emanuele, even if I didn't understand the fix :D
    November 07, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
  • emanuele: [link]
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
  • emanuele: raffo: the English support board is a good place. ;)
    November 01, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
  • raffo: Where can I find the fix for the shoutbox?
    November 01, 2016, 05:06:09 AM
  • {OCS}MasterSeal: To the SP team, I make a point to come here and thank you as much as possible for your work.  so again, THANK YOU!
    October 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM
  • emanuele: That's indeed funny, the limit is present only in the patch and not the full install.
    October 22, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

* Recent Posts

Adding Forums Button to Nav bar by jirapon
[August 01, 2019, 09:07:12 AM]

Re: Board Icons by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 04:03:41 PM]

MOVED: Czech translation???? by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 30, 2019, 03:04:51 PM]

Board Icons by jirapon
[July 30, 2019, 07:28:44 AM]

Re: Thankyou Simpleportal, by ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦
[July 29, 2019, 09:41:29 AM]

Thanks for having an interest with our portal. If you have any requests for features, have a look at the Feature Requests board.

Author Topic: about calendar in SimplePortal 2 / SMF 1.1.X  (Read 71716 times)

Offline BrOzO76

Re: about calendar in SimplePortal 2 / SMF 1.1.X
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »
algun código para SMF 2?

Sioned

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
I was just wondering - is there any way to make the calendar have reoccuring events instead of having to put in the same entry every week?  :-*

Offline mrtrc266

• Monsters Mansion
  • SMF Version: 2 RC3
  • SP Version: 2.3.1
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
That has been a huge demand for sometime now, seems like it should be a default feature for SMF.

The only thing I found was an outdated Mod on SMF, never tried it though I think the last version was for SMF 0.0.1 ;D

Offline tfs

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
I'm using the calendar PHP posted in this thread, but it doesn't show all events.  I have an event scheduled every day from April 1st through April 6th, but only the one from the 1st shows up.

The regular calendar block shows all 6 events.

Offline Blue

• Customizer
  • Block Maker? =P
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
???1031, please help me.

I posted a problem in English Support about your calendar, but no one answered yet

Since the month change (April to May) the events stopped showing in the calendar altough they are showing in Future Events.

Holidays and Birthdays are fine. It's really odd.

Can you take a look? :) http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2176.0

Please to keep this website running, if you like SimplePortal, make a
one-time subscription. Thank you for your support.

Offline geekfairy

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 1.1.10
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
I now have events working, but am wondering if another change is possible.

As it is now it displays by default the upcoming events, but not upcoming birthdays.

I would prefer to be able to have it also display upcoming birthdays for x amount of days prior to the event, the same as we can for events.

In SMF it normally shows down the bottom

Upcoming Birthdays: geekfairy
Upcoming Events: * test, * test 2

So is it possible to have something similar to what you have done for events? How many days in the future to show birthdays?

Thanks.

Offline Blue

• Customizer
  • Block Maker? =P
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
I now have events working, but am wondering if another change is possible.

You had the same problem than me. What did you do to put events working?

Offline geekfairy

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 1.1.10
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »
I wasn't using this code when it wasn't working.

I got it working by using the code in the DIN1031CalenderBlockV3.php on page three, and setting the events to show 7 days in the future worked fine :)

Offline Blue

• Customizer
  • Block Maker? =P
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
So, it wasn't my problem after all :'( thanks anyway

Offline ehsizzup

• SP Version: 2.3.2
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02:22 AM »
How can I customize this calendar to show only events from one specific board?

Offline noelleon69

• Semi Newbie
  • SMF Version: 1.1.9
  • SP Version: 2.2.2
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »
How does the future events look like? I set it to 7 days and tried other combinations and I don't see any mention of future events. I noticed some typos in the coding, where events was spelt as eventes. After correcting those spelling mistakes I still don't see any mention of future events in the block. How did you guys get it to work?

Offline VegasJay

• Semi Newbie
  • Operating several SMF systems, I have no life
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
So this is V3 the most advanced Version

The code is attached to the post, i extend the post limit with the code ;P.

Sorry that the day order is not correct on the pic, but that is fixed xD.

I am attempting to get * DIN1031CalenderBlockV3.php to run in a stand alone file in my SMF root directory.

This probably sounds like a strange thing to want to do, however my intent if I can get it to work is to then import the stand alone file and use it as an insert in our Newsletter.

When I run the code as a custom block in Single Portal, under SMF 2 RC3  it looks fine, however when I put the same code into a stand alone file in the root directory I get errors.

The current stumbling block is

Fatal error: Call to undefined function fatal_lang_error() in /home/kinkyv/public_html/forums/calendarKT.php  on line 71

It is pretty clear that I have to initialize some functions, but frankly I am too much of novice to attempt this.

Can anyone help me out ?

Jay Clark

Offline Koops

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2010, 04:30:43 AM »
Error :
8: Undefined index: calendar51

Has anyone encounted this error while using din1031's DIN1031CalenderBlockV3.php file?

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »
VegasJay -- Have a look in ssi_examples.php to see how to create a standalone file that can do SMF stuff.

First, that page loads SSI.php with a require, then it starts doing the stuff it is supposed to be doing.

Have you tried the SimplePortal documentation?

Offline VegasJay

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
VegasJay -- Have a look in ssi_examples.php to see how to create a standalone file that can do SMF stuff.

Whoa, imagine how much I would know if I would only read the manual <grin>.

Actually thanks a bazillion for pointing this out to me I have been using SMF for at least 5 years and never thought to check out the distribution for goodies.

the calendar code now runs as a stand alone file, and my evil mind sees all kinds of other stuff I can now do to extend the functionality to other part of my site.

The next time you are in Vegas I owe you a brew or two down on the strip

jayr

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
SSI.php was meant to help you bridge the gap between "other php stuff" and SMF.
So it has a TON of useful stuff, and lots of functions that you can call even from inside SMF -- SimplePortal certainly exploits the simplicity of the SSI interface.

Of course, writing standalone php files that don't do SimplePortal stuff is not really a SimplePortal issue. If you have any more questions, you'll probably get more and better SSI support over at simplemachines.org.

Offline VegasJay

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Of course, writing standalone php files that don't do SimplePortal stuff is not really a SimplePortal issue. If you have any more questions, you'll probably get more and better SSI support over at simplemachines.org.

I am a little reluctant to bother you again, since I am not sure this is a pure SimplePortal issue, but I think it might be useful to others so here goes ....

I try not to do the same thing twice in my systems, that is if I have something that works someplace, I want to use it again someplace else, if for no other reason than WHEN it breaks I only have to fix it in one place. (I don't believe in if it breaks)

With this in mind, I am using Simple Portal as a front end for an SMF site, and I am using the SMF site as a back end for a Newsletter that I am trying to turn into a monthly eZine.

SMF provides a buncha functionality, such as the classified ads section, that would take me years to develop on my own.

I decided to add a local weather report to the top page of the eZine, and I will probably get around to adding it to Simple Portal as a block as well.

Once I had the weather report in place I decided that it was just begging for a calendar as well, which is when I started looking at Simple Portal blocks for a way around writing my own code.

With your suggestion I was able to make DIN1031's code run as a stand alone, and was then able to import that stand alone page into my eZine top page.

So far so good ...

What is breaking my heart is that the formatting of the text is different when running in my stand alone page. See Below

The slightly larger font in the DOW headers is kinda ugly, but it also is so big that it forces the columns in the eZine to resize.

As you can see it is the right size in the test block in Simple Portal.

I have done some poking around, and it appears that there is a problem linking to the style sheet.

Code: [Select]
//Put out the Daynames :)
// th vs td
foreach($day_names as $k => $d)
    $calendar .= '
        <td class="smalltext" abbr="'.$d.'">'.(!empty($day_name_length) ? $d : $day_names_short[$k]).'</td>';
$calendar .= "

Generates the DOW header, and wants to use the smalltext class, but since it cannot find the style sheet in the standalone PHP file it puts up a default 12 pt font.

The actual dates are formatted differently and show as a smaller font.

I can think of several ways I might be able to hack this, but the clean way to do it is to locate the style sheet used by SimplePortal and either put that code into my file, or point my file at the style sheet.

<sigh> I cannot figure out where the SimplePortal style sheet is located, I looked in sources and themes without a lotta luck.

If I am wasting your time please tell me so, but if I can make this work the way I want I think it might be useful to others

jayr

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
You are correct that your question is not strictly a SimplePortal issue.  And maybe not even strictly an SMF issue.

Answer: You can always check the <head> section of the HTML to see which style files are being loaded.  You can be fairly certain that you can find selectors for all the CSS classes in one of them -- unless someone has made a mistake.

In this case:
SMF's most-used CSS file is index.css, which is found in the current theme's CSS folder, or else in the default theme's CSS folder if the current theme does not have one -- smalltext is in index.css.
SimplePortal's style file is portal.css, found in the default theme CSS folder.

I think that answers your question

-----------------------------------------------------------------
But there seems to be an unasked question:

"What's the easiest way to get some of SMF's and SimplePortal's cool features integrated into my E-Zine, which is going to be tied into a SimplePortal/SMF site anyway?"

Do you think you could produce your E-Zine within the framework of SMF and SimplePortal? If you could find an "almost perfect" custom theme, then customize it to suit, perhaps adding a little code to the theme's index.template.php to detect which page it is on and display just a little differently on the Zine's page.

In that case, you could do the Zine as the site's portal page (if you want it to be the front page) or else as a custom page (if you want users to enter on a splash page).

Because, if your zine works well in the SimplePortal/SMF framework, then it might be easier to just do it inside SimplePortal than to try to rip functionality out of SimplePortal and/or SMF.

------------------------------------

Whichever way you decide to go, I'm sure you are going to wind up with questions about general SimplePortal support, SimplePortal customization, and customizing themes specifically for SimplePortal stuff.  You'll make it easiest for everyone here at SimplePortal.net to help if you start new threads for these questions.  And don't forget -- for questions about SMF that aren't specific to SimplePortal, you may get much quicker (and sometimes even better!) support from the much larger community at simplemachines.org

Good luck with your zine, and have fun developing it.

Offline VegasJay

• Semi Newbie
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
"What's the easiest way to get some of SMF's and SimplePortal's   cool features integrated into my E-Zine, which is going to be tied into a   SimplePortal/SMF site anyway?"

Ouch, I hate it when someone makes me stop and think, action for actions sake is my motto.

Having said that I have kinda solved my original problem in a semi satisfactory way.

Original problem
My original problem was how to control the display of the calendar block when using it as an insert block in a another (non-SMF/SP portion of my system)

My semi satisfactory solution is after playing around with some formatting commands in the HTML portion of the block code, is to simply do an inline CSS in the block, using the class names already assigned in the block PHP code.

This works pretty well, and has the added advantage of making me more independent of the way SMF is set up.

Take home on the Original Problem
In a more general theme I figure I now have a method of extracting other parts from SMF and recycling them in another Non-SMF portion of my system. The advantage to doing this is fresh content in the non-SMF area with zero effort on the administrators part (Except WHEN it breaks of course)

If other semi-newbie coding impared system operators are attempting to do this and need help they can email me and I will do my best to tell them how my kludge works. If enough folks want help I will attempt to write it up as an app note and post it some place.

The Blindingly Obvious
I have been slowly evolving away from standard front pages and websites towards using SMF as the guts of my systems, and only having a few custom pages for the rest of the website. Simple Portal was a huge step forward for me in this direction.

<shame faced grimace :whistle: > When I started the eZine project

it simply never occurred to me

that I could simply use Simple Portal and do the 80%/20% thing, Using Simple Portal to in effect create Simple eZine, more or less by simply doing a custom theme and building a few additional pages as needed. I have a lotta good, Manly, reasons for this, but I will spare you my rationalizations

Thank you, thank you, thank you
I have to give this some more thought, SMF hacks has been offering their newsletter mod for a while, probably should take a look at that, there are some other SMF 3rd parties out there with stuff as well that will probably give me some ideas as well.

jayr

Offline AngelinaBelle

• Comrade
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
We're all about simple here!

The thing about simple frameworks is that they work great as long as the inherent restrictions are OK for your needs.

Have fun!